We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daytona Beach searching for other activities

Conover, North...
Level Contributor
12 posts
163 reviews
Save Topic
Daytona Beach searching for other activities

I will be going to Daytona Beach next week. My first time there. Is there somewhere near that offers kayaks, canoes? I also like to fish, what do you reccommend? Thanks for any advice. I will be staying at the Bahma House.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Daytona Beach searching for other activities

Daytona is great for fishing. We like to watch them surf fish on the beach. Go to www.daytonabeach.com/kayak17.asp for kayak and canoe rentals. Go to www.visitdaytona.com/boatshtml for tons of info on deep sea fishing. At Sunglow pier on A1A and at the Boardwalk you can fish off the piersr and rent tackle there. Inland fishing is closeby and the hotel clerk can tell you where. You may want to go to the Marina at Ponce Inlet close to the lighthouse to see the critter fleets come in around 5-6ish, They clean peoples fish right there and you can watch., It is so much fun to see what the people that went out that day caught.Have a fun trip.

Bonnie

Conover, North...
Level Contributor
12 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daytona Beach searching for other activities

Thanks for the info. Do the people surf fishing seem to catch any? I live in NC and if you surf fish you need to know the specific spot or you will be dissappointed. Thanks again

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Daytona Beach searching for other activities

Last year we saw them bringing in Pampano, baby sharks, and other fish I didn't recognize. LOL. right off the beach. It was about 2 blocks north of the Laplaya(2500 N Atlantic) at that beach entrance. When you get there call some of the baits shops and they or some of the locals could tell you better than I can. How long will you be staying?

Bonnie

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Daytona Beach searching for other activities

Hi Loretta,

The best place that we have heard, is in New Symrna Beach at JB's Fish Camp. It is this little restaurant/bar in NSB that we found that rents kayaks,

we actually found this place by accident. We have been there 5 or 6 times and have talked to the bartenders - locals and they said that there is more variety and the area is better suited for the kayaks etc .... because of the inlet waters and creeks that flow there.

I do not know much more about the sport, but they seem to be very busy and the food is good.

We were there in Feb 2004 having dinner and there were 4 guys at the bar wearing Super Bowl Rings...turns out they all played for the KC Chiefs and they were down there in the area for the winter. They gave my son their signed business cards...very cool...

http://www.jbsfishcamp.com/

Renata

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Daytona Beach searching for other activities

Renata,

We live 6 miles from the Cheif's strdium and believe it or not when Joe Montana was here we got an autographed football from him. We go to Daytona most every summer but I didn't know some of the Cheif's were there in 2004 or we would have hitched a ride on the plane with them, yeah, right,,, lol

Bonnie

centerburg, ohio
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
929 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Daytona Beach searching for other activities

Make sure you check out things to do on the river. Go to Tomoka State Park, off US1 north of Granada Blvd. (Ormond Beach). Great park, with paddle and kayak rentals and scenery is great and it is pretty remote. Along with fishing (small bait shop there) there are historical things to do there. It was the site of a native American encampment and you can tour those, also site of Sugar mill and has a plantation of the sugar plantations/mills, and the oldest(?) live oak tree. Great off the beaten path location and the drive up to it is wonder. You might consider going on north after leaving the park just to continue the drive and turn on Highbridge Road and go down by the river there and watch the boat traffic through the drawbridge and marvel at the various ecological environments on that road.

Florida
Level Contributor
133 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Daytona Beach searching for other activities

Tomoka State Park is good for fishing and crabbing! Have been there the past 3 weekends. They don't have boats anymore. Also Canaveral Seashore is good for fishing. I believe they have boats. You might also want to try Wekiva State Park. They have caonoe rentals, swimming and fishing.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Daytona Beach searching for other activities

Beckycat.

Please excuse my ignorance but how do you go crabbing? I may want to try it when we go June 2. Do you need a license, what kind of bait and how do you do it?

Thanks,

Bonnie

Florida
Level Contributor
133 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Daytona Beach searching for other activities

Don't worry about it, that's how you learn. It's a lot of fun. You can go to Super Wal-mart and you pick up traps. The ones that you need cost $2.00. They are made up of a metal ring and netting and it almost looks like the basket of a basket ball hoop. I would get at least 8-10 of those. Clothes line which you attach to the trap to drop it into the water. You might want to get some weights too for the bottom of the trap. You use any kind of chicken (thighs, drumsticks) whatever is cheap will do. You take a piece of the clothes line and tie the chicken to the bottom of the trap. Make sure that you also run the line through the chicken, so you don't lose it.Then you tie the traps to the side of the dock. Drop the traps into the water and make sure that they go to the bottom. Wait about 15-20 minutes and then quickly pull the traps upward. Be patient because sometimes they come in spurts. They have docks at Tamoka to crab off. Let me know how you make out. Good luck!

Florida
Level Contributor
133 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Daytona Beach searching for other activities

By the way, bring a bucket to put the crabs in. Keep ice on the crabs, not water. You might want to get some tongs to pick the crabs up with or you can dump them into the bucket. To cook them, buy Old Bay Spice and boil them for about 10-15 minutes. Enjoy!