We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never been to Daytona ... Need help with hotels!

Barboursville, WV
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Never been to Daytona ... Need help with hotels!

I usually go to Mrytle Beach but want to switch it up this year and try Daytona. I am having a hard time finding a place to stay that seems clean. Most of the reviews on here are horrible and there seems to only be around 80 some hotels to choose from. I am looking for a suite with at least one bedroom separte from the rest of the living area. I as would like to find a hotel within walking distance to attractions.

Since I usually go to Mrytle beach I have a few questions... Is Daytona beach laid out like Mrytle with a "Boardwalk" or "Strip" with many shops and restraunts all within walking distance or am I going to have to drive to most attractions? Is Daytona Clean? considering the reviews of most of the hotels only about 5 of them seem clean.... and I have come to find out that most reviews posted are correct.

My spouse and I plan on going in Mid July along with my parents... we are in our mid twenties and my parents are in there mid 40's so we are all still young and hope to have some fun. Would love to find a hotel with a pool side bar and DJ. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Never been to Daytona ... Need help with hotels!

You will probably get all kinds of replies but we have stayed at the LaPlaya Resort for many years. They have nice suites and are very clean and well decorated. They have a large oudoor and indoor pool. THe main boardwalk area is about 2 miles from the Laplaya and if you don't want to drive a trolly stops right in front. In my opinion DB is better than MB. The boardwalk is right on the oecan with shops, some rides, arecades, etc. There is a lot to do in Daytona but the beach there is so awesome you will want to stay on it. Tons of beach activity going on too. I hope this helps.

Bonnie

Mason, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Never been to Daytona ... Need help with hotels!

I think you and your family would love Ocean walk resort.It is right by many things such as pier,boardwalk,Ocean walk Shoppes,and they have a great pool bar.You can rent thru resort or private owners.I pefer renting thru private owners myself.If you have any other questions I would be happy to help.

Myrtle beach is much more congested with activities compared to daytona.I have always peferred daytona.Daytona Has a lot to do but not so much in way of shows like Myrtle Beach.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Never been to Daytona ... Need help with hotels!

The Bahama House Is Just Great, The Staff Does a good job in keeping the hotel clean, the rooms are great. You and your spouse and your parents will have a great time, also the Bahama house is right on the beach,

Like said above, the Ocean Walk is great aswell it's a resort which is right on the beach and just great,

other choices would be the Hilton, Sun Viking, Palm Plaza

Pibb,

Sweetwater, TN
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Never been to Daytona ... Need help with hotels!

I've always preferred Daytona over Myrtle Beach too. First off, it is much more affordable and less crowded. Granted, some will say it's "dirtier" or older, but Daytona has been a beach destination for decades and the older feel and "down to earth" (not so upscale) atmosphere is exactly what I like about it. I've been going to Daytona at least once a year since 1988, and always love it.

As far as hotels, I like the Hawaiian Inn. I've stayed there many times over the years and always enjoy it. It is a bit old and certainly not a 5 star hotel, but it has the best and biggest pool deck on the beach, and lots of fun music and activities. But if you stay there, be sure and rent from one of the private condo owners and not the front desk. (You will have a much nicer room and save about $200 for a week's stay as well). Other hotels that I've stayed at and recommend include the Acapulco Inn (although they have drastically increased their prices since re-opening this year), the Treasure Island Resort (which at this time, still remains closed for hurricane repairs), and the LaPlaya (I haven't stayed there in several years though, since it's on the north end in Ormond Beach, and I really prefer the South end of town in Daytona Beach Shores). Another good choice for a small, mom and pop type hotel is the Tropical Manor Inn.

But no matter what your choice, don't let the bad reviews scare you away. Daytona is a lot of fun and a great place to visit. Some people who complain are looking for a 5 star resort type destination, and if that is what you are looking for, then yes, Daytona might dissapoint you. If you want a more "upscale" coast, then I would recommend the gulf coast, but if you want a really fun, down to earth, family vacation town, then Daytona is legendary.

blank
Level Contributor
176 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Never been to Daytona ... Need help with hotels!

About how may minutesdoes it take to drive to Ormond Beach or Daytona Beach Shores from the boardwak?

Is Daytona Inn Beach Resort like the one you spoke about that is individually owned by each room? If it is then would it be cheaper to rent from the front desk or from the person owning the room?

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Never been to Daytona ... Need help with hotels!

Daytona Beach Shores, Daytona Beach and Ormond Beach all run together on A1A with motels and shops all along most of the way. Depending on traffic I would say you could go from DBS to OB in 15 minutes. During tourists season A1A around the Boardwalk area can get really congested, especially on week ends and at night. You are going to have a blast!

Bonnie

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Never been to Daytona ... Need help with hotels!

Punz you are right! the first time I went to the Boardwalk was on the weekend and I went into an arcade with my son and WOW! was it ever packed, My son and I had trouble moving around in there it was so packed!

Pibb,

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Never been to Daytona ... Need help with hotels!

Traffic Tip..An alternative to A1A...this will run you north and south parallel to A1A.

Run down Penninsula Dr when traveling during weekends around Daytona instead of A1A. Penninsula is about 3 blocks west of A1A. Penninsula is smooth sailing from Silver Beach (1500S Atlantic) on the south to Sea Breeze (600N Atlantic) on the north. It avoids the traffic on A1A.

They have been doing "beautification" and construction for about 2.5 years now....

Renata

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Never been to Daytona ... Need help with hotels!

We were there in august and they were still working on it. Are they still not done with all the beautification on A1A close to the boardwalk area?

Bonnie