We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are the different beaches like?

midwest
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
What are the different beaches like?

Thanks for any information!

We'll be visiting DB Shores with young children in August, and would like to try out a few different beaches in the area... Ormond, Daytona, Ponce Inlet, New Smyrna? We're interested in all the different features - building sandcastles, shallow wave-hopping, watching surfers, driving, ice cream. =o)

centerburg, ohio
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
930 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are the different beaches like?

I think the beaches are very similar. The Smyrna beach is quite nice because they have a beautiful boardwalk area and it is really nice to spend time on it. The sand is similar all along the area.

The widest beach is in Ponce Inlet. The entrance at the beach there allows you to drive to the jetty and walk out on it also. The sand is quite packed there and so is excellent for sand castles. The beach in the Shores and in Daytona proper are the same but just a tad narrower. As you continue north the beach narrows and by the time you reach Ormond-by-the-Sea the beach is getting sloped and the sand is getting coarser. So, not a lot of differences but it is nice to see more than one. Also, some parts of the beach or drive and others aren't. Get a beach map from your hotel. It is worth watching the driving on the beach, even if you don't want to try it yourself.

Have a great time.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are the different beaches like?

At the Beach, (the main one, Daytona Beach Shores) you probably won't be able to make sand castles, there are cars frequently passing by, unless you are in a no car zone, and when I was there most of the hurricanes were done and the beach lost a lot of sand so it is really packed in so it's good for jogging or walking but it's not the best sand to be making sand castles.

Pibb,

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
40,790 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are the different beaches like?

To me, the only difference in the beaches is what building happens to be standing at the edge.

All the beaches along the east coast of FL are pretty much the same, just wider in some areas than in others.

Illinois
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What are the different beaches like?

What about the beaches at Palm coast

centerburg, ohio
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
930 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What are the different beaches like?

Palm Coast is an inland town, the other side of the river. It does not reach the ocean, however the coastal town in that area is Flager Beach and unincorporated areas north of Flager. Flager Beach is a great place.

Tavares, Florida
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
6,126 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What are the different beaches like?

Is the beach in Flagler as wide as low tide in Daytona? The sand is more coarse and red isn't it?

centerburg, ohio
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
930 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What are the different beaches like?

teachrsue:

yes the beach is slightly different in Flager. At the times of the year when the red sand appears it will be more apparent, which is also true with Ormond area. The further north you go the more coarse and red it gets at times. As for width of the beach, the same applies. As you go north the beach begins to have more of a slope and it is not as wide. I am not a good judge of distances so I can't say what the width is in Flager but it is considerably less than in downtown Daytona and south to Ponce Inlet.

That said, I love going to Flager Beach. It is such a little beach town. It is not crowded and the pier is nice and lots of fishing there. The restaurant at the pier is nice and we also eat at restaurants on the other side of the street and they have nice views also. Flager Beach has quite a lot of night life also. They have a number of bars with bands, etc.

Are you glad to see the infamous post gone?

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What are the different beaches like?

Hey chippsch is it true that they are making a horse racing track in the Flagler Area? I heard that somewhere??

Pibb,

Tavares, Florida
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
6,126 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What are the different beaches like?

Thanks Chip, we always cut over at Flagler on our way down and I noticed the beach was not the same was just curious. We almost booked a condo there, but I really want oceanfront and not have to cross the road. We will check out some the places to eat and drink up that way this trip for sure

Maybe you can give us more info on the 12th at Inlet Harbor. if you are still on for the meet. Yeah the post is gone, it really got out of hand, and I have always believed that particular poster is just a kid not over the age of 16.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
672 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What are the different beaches like?

Teachrsue, I agree - I think they were very young, considering the spelling and grammar! And chipp, thanks for the info on the red sand - I had always wondered about that! Sometimes, down at the Regency where we stay, it's redder than at other times - I didn't know if it had to do with the tide or the time of year. We've also noticed that since the hurricanes last year, there are more dips and sandbars in the ocean floor - it gets chest deep, and then when you walk a little further out, it back down to your thighs! It definitely messes up the boogie board riding!