We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

passing through Daytona for a day..

Port Huron, Michigan
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
passing through Daytona for a day..

Hi We are driving down to Florida in April and want to head over to the ocean on our way home. I'm considering going over to Daytona for a few hours? I have never been there so really not sure where to go? I got a brochure that advertises the boardwalk and that looked interesting. Is it very expensive for the rides (I will have 2 12 year old boys with me) and is there beach access close by - like say can we hang out at the beach for awhile and then walk over tot he boardwalk area?

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
18,107 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: passing through Daytona for a day..

Here is an alternative in addition to or instead of.

Ormond Scenic Loop and Trail

http://www.ormondscenicloopandtrail.com

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
16,736 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: passing through Daytona for a day..

My advice if you decide to do the boardwalk is to by the wrist band which is good for I think 3 hours. I think its about $25 pp but not sure. There is a roller coaster, a tilt a whirl, a ferris wheel, a swing and go carts. If they are not busy you can get in a lot of rides for the price. There are also a couple of arcades where you can win tickets for prizes. You have to spend a good amount to win anything decent but it fun and right on the beach.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
9,043 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: passing through Daytona for a day..

April is a bit touchy in that north of Daytona, the ocean water will likely be cool. The county's beachcams have daily water temperature.

volusia.org/services/public-protection/beach…

The National Weather Service has a useful surf-zone forecast every morning about 6 am.

forecast.weather.gov/product.php…

The Daytona Beach area (including Ormond and Daytona Beach Shores) has excellent city and county beach parks. The newest and likely the best is Andy Romano Beachfront Park in Ormond Beach

http://www.ormondbeach.org/index.aspx?NID=442

The county parks are all fine. Sunsplash is adjacent to lifeguard headquarters.

volusia.org/services/…

The Daytona Beach boardwalk is bordered by nice hotels and a nice restaurant/movie center. The beach itself is fine, and has a no-driving area in the vicinity of the pier. The neighborhood inland from it remains a slum in the classic sense--older houses chopped up into badly-maintained apartments. Gentrification has long been anticipated, but doesn't seem to be happening (something the local newspaper has discussed in depth). Ormond Beach and Daytona Beach Shores are relatively affluent.

Alternatives for a beach stop might include the St. Augustine area if it seems warm enough, Ormond and Daytona Beach Shores, as noted, and New Smyrna Beach.

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,286 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: passing through Daytona for a day..

The boardwalk is right on the beach, the rides are on one side and the sand and water is on the other. It's all part of the Ocean Walk complex and is probably your best bet if you're new in town and just want to get in a little beach time. I've always considered it a bit dated, with a pretty good 1960s Coney Island tacky feel to it (it was built in the 20s I think), at least along the part they normally refer to as the boardwalk. The Ocean Walk portion on the North end of the complex was built in 2001 and is perfectly modern.

There is a parking garage there for the complex. When you enter, go up to the second floor and then take the pedestrian overpass over to the beach. There is a bunch of stuff in that complex from end to end, and I'm sure you'll be able to fill a few hours there.

You should be sure to have the kids swim near a lifeguard just to be safe. Daytona can have rip-currents, even when it doesn't look too rough. You can ask the lifeguards when you get there to see what's going on in an area on that particular day.

If the suburban feel of the ocean walk isn't quite what you're looking for you might take a look at Ponce Inlet down at the Southern end of the beachside. It's much sleepier and less crowded with no high-rises after a certain point. There aren't nearly as many things to do down there, but it's awfully nice.

Port Huron, Michigan
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: passing through Daytona for a day..

Thank you I was wondering if they did a wristband type thing!

Port Huron, Michigan
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: passing through Daytona for a day..

Thank you everybody for the very informative answers! I live on Lake Huron in Michigan and I KNOW the water is cold - but I guess I assumed the ocean is always warm lol. thanks for giving me that heads up. I also appreciated the tip to drive up to the second floor and take the pedestrian walk. I will make sure to do that if we head there. I might check out some of these other beaches though....

USA
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: passing through Daytona for a day..

Hey IansMommy.... If you know Great Lakes water temps then Daytona Beach will be like a hot spring for you in April. lol

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
9,043 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: passing through Daytona for a day..

Just a note: the county parks have family changing/rest rooms.

9. Re: passing through Daytona for a day..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2015, 05:17