We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NASCAR newbies - advice please!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
409 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
NASCAR newbies - advice please!

Hi

We are planning on coming over in February next year for the Daytona 500. I see that the tickets go on sale on the 10th June, we have decided that we want seats in Oldfield tower probably row 35 upwards, could you please tell me can you book specific seats or are they allocated to you once you have decided what row you want to sit in. Any advice will be gratefully received regarding any aspect of the race ie parking, what, time to get there etc. We are staying in Orlando. Can' t wait to visit the States again and doing something different!

Many thanks

Jane

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,093 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NASCAR newbies - advice please!

When you call in they'll tell you the best seats available, and I believe they'll work with you from there in terms of location and price. Daytona has managed to stay pretty humble, friendly, and accomodating when it comes to customer service. It's kind of nice.

Oldfield Tower is OK, and I had tickets there for years. But, you see little if anything in the pits. I've got tickets in Weatherly now and get to see way more of the action.

You might also look at signing up for some of the extra stuff, in particular the passes that let you get onto the track and into the pits and garages before the race. It lets you get way closer to everything going on in the pre-race.

Getting to and from Orlando will probably be the hardest part of everything. Traffic is pretty awful. You should be able to avoid a lot of it if you get there relatively early (arriving at maybe 8 or 9), but it's tough to avoid the crush on the way home, at least if you stay for the entire race.

And, BE READY FOR COLD WEATHER AND RAIN. You can take clothing off, but if you don't have it you can't wear it. Remember that you'll be exposed to the weather for 6 to 12 hours. It's the time of year where we can have any type of weather, from freezing to 85 degrees. Weather forecasts are nice, but take them with a grain of salt. I have been there numerous times where folks didn't dress warmly enough and froze. I even had to leave early once because folks in my party didn't listen and one started getting hypothermia. The new concourses they're building may help with all this a little, but I'm not sure what will be done for next years races and I'm not sure what the layout will be like.

Edited: 10 June 2014, 13:07
Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,660 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NASCAR newbies - advice please!

There is a lot of stuff to do at the track pre-race so its good to get there early so you can take part in some of the activities. Loads of trailers with race fan gear, lots of displays, some interactive where you can win prizes. Free stuff too. Pit passes are great if you have never done a pit tour. Very interesting and you may get to meet a driver.

We like parking near the stadium and have used several places across the street. They range from $40 to $60 usually. However you can take your free & purchased items back to the car and don't have to lug them around all day. .

I agree about dressing in layers. The weather can be hot or cold.

centerburg, ohio
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
930 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NASCAR newbies - advice please!

Why are you staying in Orlando. Way easier to stay Daytona side dealing with traffic

Daytona Beach...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: NASCAR newbies - advice please!

If you buy your tickets from www,daytonainternationalspeedway.com it will show you your exact seats. You will have the option to purchase or select new seats. If you want to save a few quid, add /savings to the end of that website address! Driving to and from Orlando will be a pain in the butt. If you can afford it, get a room in Daytona the night of the race. Then take a taxi back to your hotel, and leave in the morning. If you are concerned about costs, and you're a bit adventurous, there are lots of camp sites available close to the speedway. You could skip the traffic, and have more fun! I think you will enjoy camping near the speedway with other race fans! I might even let you camp in my back yard. I live about 3 or 4 miles from the track. You could get a taxi from here, and save the $20 to $30 parking fees.

Okarche, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
47 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NASCAR newbies - advice please!

Are there packages with transportation to and from hotel on bus for the race? What hotels would be the mid range in price and convenient to the track?

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,660 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NASCAR newbies - advice please!

When you go to the Nascar website there should be some package deals, Most require a 2 or 3 night stay. It is always good to stay an extra night after the race for 2 reasons, one is traffic, the other if the race gets delayed, rained out, etc they will either run it very late at night or the next day.

If not booking thru the Nascar website, hotels near the track will either already be sold out or will be at a premium rate. There is no anything mid range at race time. Some hotels beach will have cheaper rates, there is a bus to get to the track and back to the hotel. Not sure where the stops are beachside.

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,093 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NASCAR newbies - advice please!

All the hotel/transportation packages I recall looking at were from the Orlando area. Orlando, is far enough away and has more than enough extra capacity, so it's where you need to go to get away from the race weekend rates. Even here in Lake Mary, which is at the Northern fringe of metro Orlando, the prices are inflated.

Daytona Beach...
Level Contributor
116 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NASCAR newbies - advice please!

www.daytonabeach.com will have a list of hotels with rooms available in the Daytona Beach area in early December. Not aware of any hotels that provide shuttle service to the track. Go to the track as early as possible to avoid traffic.

9. Re: NASCAR newbies - advice please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Daytona Beach