We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Daytona with seniors and teens...

Which Daytona Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
One day in Daytona with seniors and teens...

Can anyone recommend an activity in Daytona Beach that will satisfy teens and Senior citizens?

We are staying in Orlando, and then for one day will go to Dyatona Beach to visit grandparents visiting there in early January. We are also planning a Gulf Coast beach day.

Tavares, Florida
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
6,124 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Daytona with seniors and teens...

Without knowing about the interests of the teens and Sr. Citizens it is hard to make some recommendations. Here are a couple of suggestions;

If they would be interested in seeing the Daytona Speedway go to Daytona USA.

www.daytonausa.com is the website so you can check it out. This would take a couple of hours to do. If you choose to do this I would suggest going there in the morning.

From there head into Daytona. You will come in near the Ocean walk area. This would be a good area to park and walk around on the boardwalk , the beach and have lunch at one of the restaurants.

For the afternoon, You could go south on A1A to the Ponce Inlet lighthouse. You can tour the lighthouse grounds, go up in the lighthouse if you desire. There are restaurants in this area too. www.ponceinlet.org

There is also a small Marine Science center at Ponce Inlet that may interest all. http://echotourism.com/msc/msc2.htm

If you have more specific questions/interests let us know.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Daytona with seniors and teens...

Hey Fellow Canadian! =D, Could you please tell us what your group enjoys doing? Like what are their interests, with a little more detail, i'm sure there will be tons of activities everyone in your group would love!

Pibb,

calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Daytona with seniors and teens...

Wow...so helpful already!

Our group is 8 kids ages 11-22 all athletically minded but willing to do anything interesting. We all have this attitude of Hey, it's Florida in January , not suffering through -30C at home...life is good!

We do also have to consider the 2 seniors for the day (late 70's , limited mobility...one likes to see the sites...the other a shade tree and a nice spot to sit is good... I thought of the speedway too, but not sure if noise would be a problem.

Not sure if this would be the best day for it, but is there anyplace that rents surfboards and gives lessons? Also heard that a lot of Daytona beach you can drive on. Why? Is this safe? That being said do companies rent dune buggies or something for that purpose?

What about private tour operators for boat cruises.

While in Florida I want to see a Manatee...is there a good place for this? Does that sound silly? Probably as bad as tourists coming to Canada wanting to see a polar bear?!

Tavares, Florida
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
6,124 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in Daytona with seniors and teens...

Not silly at all, we see manatees at Canaveral National Seashore each summer. This past July we saw a family of manatess swimming in the ocean just a few feet off shore, it was really cool. If you go to Blue Springs State park you will see them according to their website, it is a winter refuge for manatees and not far from Orlando. Here's the link

floridastateparks.org/bluespring/default.cfm

Speedway should not be noisy unless someone is testdrving out the track for upcoiming race, but older folks can stay inside and not be bothered by the noise.

Teens and kids will enjoy the boardwalk and it won't be so hot that the sr. citizens will have to be in the shade! Hope this helps some!

Tavares, Florida
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
6,124 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in Daytona with seniors and teens...

Oh and beach rentals are available in the summer the things you mentioned, I am not sure about in Jan. though. Maybe a local can help with that. Water will be cold!

Boat rides- not sure anymore, we did a couple different ones in the past but they aren't available any longer. They were on the intercoastal waterway not on the ocean. Anyone know if trolleyboats are still running?????

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in Daytona with seniors and teens...

Yes, You can rent vehicles on the beach such as ATV'S and bike's however like stated above, they do this during the summer months, and i'm not sure if they rent during January.

As for the safety on the beach, it's very safe, like I have said many times, My buddies and I play football on the beach all the time , and you just have to keep a lookout for the cars coming. The cars have a speed limit to which isn't fast, so that helps, like anywhere else where there are cars, just keep a lookout for them and you will be fine!

Enjoy your Vacation!

Pibb,

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
5,168 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day in Daytona with seniors and teens...

sirdieseldog....I just returned from Daytona Beach and I was there visiting my 72 year dad that lives in Daytona Beach. I think you could divide up your time but I think the teens will enjoy the beach the most. I think the water temp will be a bit chilly for swimming but they will probably still have fun knee deep. You will be able to drive your car onto the beach and then plant your whole family there for the afternoon of fun. Find a place close to the Ocean Walk Village and then the teens could walk over there and get food or drinks there or walk to the pier....a little more excitement for them.

Daytona Speeday is interesting to see, they have one tour for $8.50 that takes about a half hour that you sit on a tram and it takes you into the track. For those that don't want to take the tour they can look around the gift shop during that time. I think it is worth seeing, even if you are not into racing.

You may also want to drive down to Ponce Inlet and spend the day on the beach there.......it's beautiful there too.

8. Re: One day in Daytona with seniors and teens...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 23:20