We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Spectacular Shuttle Night Launch!

Daytona Beach...
Level Contributor
689 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Another Spectacular Shuttle Night Launch!

I love the night launches. I can see them right from the beach here.

The flash from the ignition of the engines is immediately visible. There is always a crowd gathered along the beach and they let out a cheer. Within a few minutes you can feel the "rumble" along the beach.

May God watch over our astronauts.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Spectacular Shuttle Night Launch!

I'm Glad everything went according to plan it must have been neat to see it from the beach, I haven't been to the beach while the shuttle is launching, i'll have to try and get there when it happens next time!

Tavares, Florida
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
6,126 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Spectacular Shuttle Night Launch!

Watched it on cnn and were just talking about how spectacular it must be at night. We saw the launch on the 4th of July from our balcony. It is always exciting!

Southern KY
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Spectacular Shuttle Night Launch!

A few years ago I watched a launch about midnight. Went to the river where the locals go. I'll always remember that night! What an adventure.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
672 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Spectacular Shuttle Night Launch!

We've seen 3 launches, and the best by far is the night launch! A few years ago we stayed up until the shuttle went up around 5:00 a.m. - it was magnificent! The beach was crowded with people, the horizon lit up with a brilliant orange when the engines ignited, and you could watch the shuttle all the way across the sky until it reached the other horizon - it was one of the most beautiful sights I've ever seen!

Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,318 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another Spectacular Shuttle Night Launch!

We were just in Florida for this, and wow, it was amazing! We were guests of one of the astronauts on this mission so were at Banana Creek for the launch. We had no idea what to expect, but it was all so exciting. I hope we see coverage of them landing this week.

6. Re: Another Spectacular Shuttle Night Launch!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 04:16