We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a beach town - what's the beach like??

Frisco, CO
Level Contributor
58 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a beach town - what's the beach like??

My husband and I are looking for a nice little beach town for a week's stay in May, after visiting family in Miami and Key West. We'll have a full 2 weeks so our plan is to fly in/out of Miami, or possible Fort Lauderdale (seems to be cheaper from Denver), rent a car, spend a few days in Miami, then Key West for a few days, then drive somewhere else for the second week. The beaches around Sarasota seem beautiful, but adds alot more driving. We have been to Sanibel-but didn't feel like there was much of a town near the beach. We like to be able to walk to beach, good restaurants, fun shops, etc - and Delray seems to fit the bill. Plus the location would not add too much more driving, since we'd have to get back up that way to fly home. We are hoping for a place with a kitchen/kitchenette and the East Wind condos looked interesting as does the Residence inn. Residence inn, however has some mixed reviews. Complaints of being dirty, which is too bad. Has anyone stayed at the East Winds recently??, We don't have kids and really prefer a non-family type lodging. (Can't stand the "Marco Polo" thing at the pool). Also, my other question - What is the beach like? clean water?, too rough for actual swimming?, sandy bottom? Would love some feedback - about whether Delray might be right for us, lodging recommendations or if there are other locations we should consider. thanks

Florida
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a beach town - what's the beach like??

Delray Beach is an excellent choice for what you describe above. It has 2-miles of award-winning beaches! One can walk the entire "Avenue" which is Atlantic Avenue (an award-winning main street) filled with boutique shopping, sidewalk cafe bistros, courtyard dining, and romantic dining as well and you can walk to the beach if you stay anywhere near or on Atlantic Avenue. Everything is in walking distance.

The Residence Inn is very family oriented and great for family's with kids. It would not be my recommendation from what you state above. Instead, other options, depending on your budget...

Two of the nicest hotels within one block from the beach and located right on Atlantic Avenue: The Marriott (they have an adult-only pool) and the newest resort/spa is the Seagate Hotel & Spa. Both of these are in the higher price range, but May is off-season, so you just might get a decent price break. I encourage you to check them out. Warning, that the Seagate has a lot of "additional" charges such as internet fee, parking fee, resort fee...just make sure you ask!

marriott.com/hotels/…

http://www.theseagatehotel.com/

Another suggestion is our new bed & breakfast in town. They have a 75-foot lap pool. Because of it being a B&B, I do not think they have high occupancy of children. This is located just a few blocks off Atlantic Avenue. In walking distance to everything.

www.delraybeachbedandbreakfast.com/index.htm

Hope this helps you plan the BEST-EVER Florida vacation!

P.S. If you want to learn more about Delray Beach, you can subscribe (free) and/or view my past newsletters at this link: i-love-delray-beach.com/Delray_Beach_Vibrati…

Danika

http://www.i-love-delray-beach.com/

Frisco, CO
Level Contributor
58 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a beach town - what's the beach like??

thanks Danika for all the useful info. I tryed to connect to the bed and breakfast link, is that the Hamilton House? Do you have any info about the East Winds condos?

Florida
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a beach town - what's the beach like??

Do you mean East Wind Beach Club on A1A, across the street from the beach?

If so, I haven't stay there, so I don't have any personal experience with these accommodations but I did look them up and I can confirm that their location is ideal, especially if you want to be right at the beach!

You will find most of the dining and shopping west of A1A a few blocks, with most of it located on Atlantic Avenue -- but it is all within walking distance.

The B&B link I provided above is to the Historic Hartman House.

www.delraybeachbedandbreakfast.com/index.htm

The Hamilton House are beach-front condos with an amazing view! One of the few properties located directly on the beach (east of A1A). But these are not in walking distance to our main street where all the action and vibes are, Atlantic Avenue -- but they are exceptionally nice condos!

I'm happy to answer more questions for you. I want you to thoroughly ENJOY your Delray Beach vacation! :-)

Danika Dahl

i-love-delray-beach.com/Delray-Beach-blog.ht…

woodbridge,nj
Level Contributor
351 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a beach town - what's the beach like??

I have stayed in Delray Beach many times in the past (Marriott, Residence Inn and the old Seagate). This time we are staying at Crane's Beach House Hotel and Tiki Bar. It's a smaller hotel (i think only 26 rooms) but the rooms have full kitchens or kitchenettes. Take a look at it and see if it is something that you may be interested in. It's a block in off the beach and from Atlantic (where are the restaurant/shops are).

Enjoy!!!!

Florida
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a beach town - what's the beach like??

I can confirm that Crane's is definitely a great choice too. I would describe it as a boutique hotel in a very tropical, lush garden, courtyard-type setting. And I love their poolside tiki bar! They also have live music at the tiki bar Thurs. - Sat.

I have a bunch of pics and a video of it at this link: i-love-delray-beach.com/cranes-beach-house.h…

You might want to check for reviews on it here on TripAdvisor site.

Honestly, for the most part, you can't go wrong anywhere you stay as long as it is near Atlantic Avenue and the beach. So once you have those two factors covered, then narrow it down by price and whether you need to accommodate for children or pets....or not.

Crane's and Marriott Residence Inn are both pet friendly.

And if you want a luxurious beachfront condo, then my recommendation is the Hamilton House where every condo has a magnificent ocean view and pool view. Hamilton House is not pet friendly.

i-love-delray-beach.com/hamilton-house-condo…

Danika Dahl

i-love-delray-beach.com/Delray-Beach-blog.ht…

Florida
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a beach town - what's the beach like??

I love Crane's Beach House! What did you think of it?

I love their tiki bar and the sand around the pool and the lush tropical courtyard gardens -- plus it is within walking distance to everywhere!

Pictures: i-love-delray-beach.com/cranes-beach-house.h…

Danika Dahl

http://www.i-love-delray-beach.com

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
9,274 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a beach town - what's the beach like??

The southeast Florida coast is protected from ocean swells by the Bahamas, so the water is likely to be quite gentle. Some areas in Palm Beach County have rock reefs suitable for snorkeling. Here's posts from a local television meteorologist who seeks waves:

wptv.com/subindex/…surf

delray beach, fl
Level Contributor
73 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a beach town - what's the beach like??

Delray Beach is amazing and has a something for everyone! You can rent kayaks, paddle boards or sailboats right on the beach or just enjoy the gorgeous water on its own. I don't like going in dark water or stepping on rocks or seaweed but am able to go into the water here all the time. Delray doesn't allow high rises to be built in town so you have an unusual sense of privacy and peace on the beach here that's hard to duplicate anywhere else in Florida. As far as where to stay, if you're staying for longer than 4 days, I would definitely check out vrbo.com and stay in a private home or condo. There are lots of great options in East Delray. The last time we suggested friends stay at Crane's, they ended up not using the pool because the kids were so loud,,, doesn't happen all the time, but can happen. Again, love the vrbo option for our family and friends. Enjoy!

New York
Level Contributor
67 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for a beach town - what's the beach like??

Hi there!

Delray Beach has a wide expanse of sand - its large enough that you can spread out and not be too close to others. They offer chairs and umbrellas for rent. The water is pretty calm but can vary based on the weather. There aren't a lot of rocks on Delray Beach which makes it nice for swimming but not so nice for snorkeling (as fish prefer to be near rocks). All in all I'd say Delray Beach is one with prettiest in South Florida

10. Re: Looking for a beach town - what's the beach like??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 17:42
Get answers to your questions about Delray Beach
Recent Conversations