We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grandma says "The Colony"Delray nieghborhood "not so nice.."

sag harbor, ny
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Grandma says "The Colony"Delray nieghborhood "not so nice.."

Ok here's my question : i'm going to Delray to visit Grandma (99!!) and was all excited to stay at the Colony hotel and Cabana (i love old grand hotels esp. with beach clubs!)

when i tell her all she can say is::"NO! it's downtown and parking is behind the stores, dark at night,

etc. etc. I've lived here for 40 years...don't stay there..."

Is she living in the past? It sounds nice and clean and safe to me - and the last time we were in Delray (Nov) Atlantic Ave seems great. Can anyone wi/ local knowledge help me assure her I'll be ok?"

Thanks!

ruthanne17

sag harbor, ny

Level Contributor
36 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grandma says "The Colony"Delray nieghborhood "not so nice.."

It is a perfectly safe, lively neighborhood that we walk at all times. As a matter of fact, Atlantic Avenue is generally packed to all hours on a nice evening. Your grandmother is wrong. Another hotel to consider is the Residence Inn on Atlantic, closer to the beach. It's also on a busy part of Atlantic Avenue and perhaps even better maintained .

sag harbor, ny
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grandma says "The Colony"Delray nieghborhood "not so nice.."

Well the answer is I decided to stay at the Colony despite Grandma's concern - it turns out to be quite a nice botique hotel - very Old Florida - (1926) with Miami Beach modern colors - coral, turquoise, lime green- the original Tommy Bahama kind of place. The rooms are clean and bright - the bed was very comfortable and the bath is white tile and marble in good condition. Atlantic Ave has lots of upscale restraurants (great street life in the evening) and shops - The lobby is very bright and comfortable - bookshelves surrounding the fireplace - found an old copy of Nero Wolfe on the bookshelf - very appropiate ! The front desk staff was always friendly and courtious and the elevator is a hoot- Even an old telephone booth! There is a small bar up front and a great porch to relax and watch the street traffic go by. Breakfast is good and there is a newspaper shop nearby to pick up the morning paper (they supply usa today) and you can sit on the porch and have your cup of coffee. Very civilized. The Beach Cabana is nice as well - great salt water pool and the beach has lounge chairs and lunch service. Turned out to be a nice choice vs. the standard Marriott down the street. Cute and funkly in a clean kind of way. It's not for everyone, - the other reviews are accurate. I will post photos later.

Thanks for trip advisor - it worked again!

3. Re: Grandma says "The Colony"Delray nieghborhood "not so nice.."

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 17:16
Get answers to your questions about Delray Beach
Recent Conversations