We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Share some great tasting easy recipes to make on vacation

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
hot springs, ar
Level Contributor
444 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Share some great tasting easy recipes to make on vacation

Renting a condo and will be cooking most of the meals with going out to eat only once or twice so need some great easy recipes that would please adults as well as kids. Thanks

location, location...
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Share some great tasting easy recipes to make on vacation

Here ya go. This involves a charcoal grill and most condos have several community grills available. Also, there might be extra charcoal and lighter fluid laying around. Look for this on check out/check in day since most folks don't want to lug this stuff back home.

Go to Sexton's or Dewey's and get some fresh fish. I've used albacore, grouper cheeks, grouper filets, etc. it really doesn't matter. I usually start by pouring one beer into the chef (that would be me). Marinate the fish in full strength margarita mix (i.e. with tequila). I have this readily available since the Mrs. takes said margarita intravenously, but i digress. Anyway, marinate for an hour or so. Meanwhile, pour another beer into the chef. When both chef and fish are sufficiently martinated, bake the fish in a pan you made out of aluminum foil. Add a little butter, some pepper and lime juice. It won't take long to cook.....maybe 10 minutes depending on thickness. That's it!

Atlanta, Ga
Level Contributor
79 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Share some great tasting easy recipes to make on vacation

Lol.... Just a quick question Is it possible to over marinate either the cheif or fish?

That was very funny. ;)

Springfield...
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Share some great tasting easy recipes to make on vacation

I think by the time he got to "martinated" he was sufficiently "MARINATED" himself. Love it.

Atlanta, Ga
Level Contributor
79 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Share some great tasting easy recipes to make on vacation

Imay even volunteer to do the grill thing instead of my husband. I am looking for sufficient marination!!! I wonder if beer for the fish and Jack and coke for the cook would do the trick? hehe

Louisiana
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Share some great tasting easy recipes to make on vacation

I've been searching for some ideas too. I usually cook a few things ahead of time and freeze for the trip. We have about an 8 hr drive.

So far I have cooked a brisket, lasagna and a spinach and artichoke dip. They are all in disposable foil pans and covered with foil (with the heating directions written in a Sharpie). I still want to make a shrimp or crawfish dish - but crawfish is out of season here.

What other ideas do others have?

Destin, Florida
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Share some great tasting easy recipes to make on vacation

Get a big pot. Buy some shrimp and zatarian's crab and fish boil. (the kind that has the dry spices in the bag, not the liquid stuff). Throw the bag of spices into water, bring to a boil then let it sit for an hour or so until the water is just about brown.

Bring to boil, throw in shrimp and remove as they float to the top.

Serve with cocktail sauce made from:

1/2 Chili sauce 1/2 ketchup

Worcestershure sauce

Lots of horseradish

Lemon juice

dash of tabasco

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,199 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Share some great tasting easy recipes to make on vacation

7 Layer Bean Dip

Ingredients:

1 can refried beans

1 pkg taco seasoning

1 pt sour cream

1 container guacamole

1 med size jar salsa or taco sauce (your choice hot or mild)

8 to12 oz shredded mexican style cheese

1 tomatoe-diced

1 small can sliced black olives

1 bunch scallions-chopped

Large bag baked Tostito's chips, Scoops or Dorito's

Mix refried beans and taco seasoning together & spread in disposable 13 x 9 pan. Layer remaining ingredients in the above order. Chill a couple of hours. Makes a great appetizer.

Hernando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,273 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Share some great tasting easy recipes to make on vacation

Joe Mammys 2 minute GUAC:

About 4 well ripened Haas CA avocados- or a couple of large teardrop S.FL cados will do too and are actually creamier - scoop the fruit into mixing bowl. Add half of a small jar of Zapps smokey salsa- found in the chips section. A few spoons of sour cream. Dash, dash of chipotle Tabasco. Whip together and serve with blue corn chips.

The perfect accompaniment to margs on the rox w/ocean salt.

Destin, Florida
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Share some great tasting easy recipes to make on vacation

Joe - I would also add a little lemon juice so it doesn't turn brown to quickly.

Hernando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,273 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Share some great tasting easy recipes to make on vacation

Lemon or lime juice is ok to add but not needed. If there is any leftover it is great on top of a burger the next day no matter what color it is.