We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red Tide Update

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,044 posts
Save Topic
Red Tide Update

Article in today's Destin Log.

Red tide: Worst in a decade?

‘It gave me the creeps’: Fish kills reported in Destin waters

William Hatfi eld

(850)654-8448 williamh@link.freedom.com

Pointing to what they call the worst case of red tide in perhaps a decade, Emerald Coast Wildlife Refuge officials are warning residents and visitors to stay away from area beaches. While searching for a struggling dolphin Monday, offi cials instead found hundreds of dead fi sh.

“I would say this is the worst we have ever seen by far,” Jessica Johns, a 9-year volunteer with the organization, said.

Reports of fish kills are coming in from Holiday Isle, the jetties and elsewhere.

“The bay especially is just full of it,” Johns said.

One resident, who asked not to be identifi ed, walks regularly by Joe’s Bayou and Clement Taylor Park. She reported that the bayou is clear but the shoreline is awash in dead fish and eels.

“It gave me the creeps,” she said. “I’ve been here since 1990, and I have never ever seen anything like that.”

Tests taken by Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission volunteers on Nov. 2 concluded that water samples detected high concentrations of Karenia brevis, the Florida red tide organ- ism, near Cinco Bayou in Okaloosa County. Medium concentrations of the algae were detected in nearby Garnier Bayou. Fish kill reports have been received from Escambia, Santa Rosa and Okaloosa counties.

“You guys have had pretty high cell counts and a pretty high concentration of the organism that causes red tide,” Jay Abbott, a red tide researcher with the commission, said.

The red tide symptoms most typically present in humans are irritation of the throat, nose, and eyes as well as shortness of breath, coughing or wheezing.

It may ultimately take a bout of rough weather to dislodge the stubborn algae from the coast.

“Otherwise, it’s just gotta run its course,” he said. “It could stick around for a few months.”

ATLANTA
Level Contributor
520 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Red Tide Update

That is amazing . It has been hanging around over a month . I arrive next Sat . Not looking foward to that mess

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,044 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Red Tide Update

Jimmy, this is quite unusual. In the last 13 years, I have never seen it, but once, hang around for any length of time. That year was awful, it was here for 3 months.

Sorry, but keep your fingers crossed. Some people are not affected by it, but please, stay out of the water.

ATLANTA
Level Contributor
520 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Red Tide Update

Got it . It was bothersome when I was there in Oct . How about the local seafood in Resturants ? We are always eating at Deweys or the the Boathouse . Any effect there ?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,044 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Red Tide Update

I'm sure there is because they say the bay is full of it as well. But, if you were able to tolerate it last visit, I would not hesitate to go eat there again.

Also, you can always order to go from Dewey's, not sure about the boathouse.

Here's the site where you can check it. Okaloosa county is notorious for NOT sending in water samples. I guess they think they are going to scare the tourist. I think that is wrong and well as not letting locals know what is going on as well.

research.myfwc.com/features/view_article.asp…

ATLANTA
Level Contributor
520 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Red Tide Update

I am sorry I was not clear on my last post . Is there any effect of the local seafood ? Meaning do we need to becareful of certain fish and stear clear of eating it . Amberjack , grouper and shimp are our favorites .

I seem to remember some info reagarding this but can remeber where I saw it .Maybe it was shell fish .

Sorry for the confusion .

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,044 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Red Tide Update

Only on shellfish. But, everyone knows its here and restaurants are not going to serve you anything that will hurt you.

I wouldn's have a worry in the world about that.

Florida
Level Contributor
795 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Red Tide Update

wow....I can't believe it's still hanging around. It's even on the east coast of Florida but not as bad.

ATLANTA
Level Contributor
520 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Red Tide Update

This has got to be a sign of the apocalypse !

$ 3.00 + a gallon for gas

It doesnt rain anymore

Red Tide hanging on forever

Are the locusts going to swarm next ???

Scary , nothing is right !

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,044 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Red Tide Update

Yeah, I just paid $3.09 per gallon of gas.

Indy
Level Contributor
425 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Red Tide Update

I'm just curious if Red Tide has ever lasted into winter.