We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Destin area questions

OKC
Level Contributor
395 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Destin area questions

I figured someone on here could help me out here.

We are thinking about taking a family vacation to the Destin area next Labor Day (2008). I am wanting to know which area of Destin is the best for shopping, restaurants, etc? We will be renting a home or condo on the beach. This will be our first visit to the Destin area, although my daughter and her husband went this year. We have stayed in a condo before in Florida but it was in Madera Beach. It was a nice condo and nice beach, but nothing really in the area to do.

There will be 5 of us plus my granddaughter who will have just turned 1. We'll be driving in from Okla. and they will drive in from Tenn.

I've been looking at condo's on the VRBO website, but that is where I was confused as to which area to be looking at.

Any info or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. :)

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
155 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Destin area questions

We stayed at The Edgewater there this summer and found the shopping opportunities abundant at the nearby Silver Sands Factory Outlet. The Destin Commons area is also close by and pretty cool.

Just some suggestions from a fellow Okie.

Little Rock
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Destin area questions

We went there last summer . Anywhere you choose to stay along the Destin beach area is close for shopping and plenty of places to eat. The old "scenic" hwy 98 area in Destin is less congested with traffic with resturants along it also but by Labor day, traffic probably drops off some anyway. I think that area of the beach along old 98 was called Crystal Sands and Miramar beach. The beaches in Destin are white and when we were there the water was absolutely BEAUTIFUL !!! You can go on "google maps" type in a condo or hotel name, Destin Fla. click '"satalite" and see anywhere where along that beach area your place of interest is located !!! I will go back, I see now why it is called the " Emerald coast " !!!!!!

Grand Prairie, Texas
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Destin area questions

Our family stayed at Miramar Beach area. We rented a house in Emerald Shores. It does not have ocean views. It did have a Condo building in front called Leeward Keys that would have some ocean views. Emerald Shores is a gated community of houses, it is very nice. It only take a few min. to walk to the beach. They also have a private pavilion with restrooms and an outside shower. It has 2 pools and one is heated. If you go to Cyperrental .com it is easy to located rentals in the area you would like to stay.

We were about five min. from all the famous shopping areas. Make sure to take time to visit Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort -the village of Baytowne Wharf. They have restauants and shops, it is a very popular at night time.

tennessee
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Destin area questions

We have vacationed in Destin for the last few years. We being a family of 5, mom and dad, children 20,17and 15. We have stayed at the Edgewater and it was very a nice unit.We prefer the Majestic Sun because of the distance to the beach. We have rented many units from VRBO and have always been pleased. As with anything you will always have a favorite. We make the drive from TN in about 8 hours. The MS is central to all the shopping and food that we have ever wanted. Good travels.

GA
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Destin area questions

I would recommend staying in Crystal Beach. Very pedestrian friendly and cute houses close to the beach and shopping. Get one with a private pool. Check on vrbo.

Panhandle
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Destin area questions

I live in the area and I would definately suggest staying on Scenic 98 or Crystal Beach. If staying on the east end of Scenic 98, you will be near the shopping outlets and golfing at seascape. Ariel Dunes or Grand Dunes would be ideal for your family. Ariel is in Seascape and directly on the gold course and across from the beach. Grand dunes is about 1/4 mile down and on the beach. If staying on the West end, you will be closer to downtown destin, which is the Harbor area. This is very close to the Destin Commons. May I suggest Villa Coyaba for this end. Grant you, these condos probably won't be cheap but they are luxurious and in great areas. Try going to Camille's, Harbor Docks, and Old Bay Steamer while your in the area, best seafood places in town. Either decision, the span of scenic 98 is only about 8-12 miles so everything is fairly close. If up for some local fun, rent a pontoon at the Destin Harbor and go to Crab Island (sandbar by the destin bridge), well worth it if you are a beach or water person. They have bands and bars out on the sandbar but be sure to bring plenty of libations

columbus oh
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Destin area questions

Check out crystal village. My grandparents have a condo there. It's quiet and right smack in the middle of old scenic 98. You can walk one way to the beach or drive the other and be on the highway. All along the highway there are delicious restaurants and outlet malls both ways. To the right, are the outlet malls, busters (a wonderful steal on oysters), and a liquor store. To the left is destin, walmart, fudpuckers, and others. THere are also restuarnats along scenic 98 like pompano joes and and the crab shack.

8. Re: Destin area questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2008, 17:54
9. Re: Destin area questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 08:20