We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulsa to Destin

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tulsa, OK
Level Contributor
143 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tulsa to Destin

We're traveling from Tulsa to Destin for the first time this summer. We're looking for the best route to take. Also, does anyone have any suggestions where to stay along the way, as we're going to drive part way, spend the night somewhere, then drive down the rest of the way.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
147 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tulsa to Destin

Hi Jsmom...

Below is the response I got when asking for the best route from Oklahoma City. Also... we made the trip about 3 years ago and spent the night in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. It broke the trip up nicely. Just be careful about the hotel you choose. We were not and ended up checking in with a man and 3 prostitutes on his arm.

Enjoy your trip!

"Usually the map services, I like Google Maps, will give you the fastest route. I also use Microsoft's Streets And Trips and looking at this, it suggests taking I-40 to Memphis, then I-55 South to Jackson, then Hwy 49 to Hattiesburg, then Hwy 98 to Mobile, then pick up I-10 out of Mobile to Pensacola then 281 on the East side of Pensacola to Hwy 98 which finally runs into Destin. The distance is about 970 miles. Driving 8 hours a day, the overnight will be just near Grenada, MS. If you drive faster and for longer you can easily get to Jackson or maybe even Hattiesburg.

If you're good at reading maps, there is a shorter route that bypasses Memphis but this involves taking some "back" roads."

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tulsa to Destin

I've traveled from Oklahoma City to Destin for several years and have tried the two main routes suggested on the mapping services. The route from Shreveport to Jackson and down to Hattiesburg is supposedly faster than the route from Sheveport down to Baton Rouge and HW 10 to Destin. However, I have found that it is not that much quicker and the drive from Shreveport to Baton Rouge and over to Destin on HW 10 is a much easier drive with generally better highway conditions. We usually drive it hard to Mobile the first day, spend the night in Mobile and then take our time getting round the next day to Destin (a couple hour drive from Mobile). Enjoy yourselves - I live all year for that one week!!

Tulsa, OK
Level Contributor
143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tulsa to Destin

Thanks! Any suggestions as to where to stay in Mobile?

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tulsa to Destin

There's several motels/hotels in Tillman's Corner just outside (west) of Mobile if you don't want to go all the way into Mobile. Or, in Mobile, there are several along I65 that runs north off of I10. Its only 5 or 10 minute drive up I65 so you can get back on I10 pretty easily the next morning. Then take I10 all the way to HW85 (Crestview exit), south to Niceville, and across the bridge to Destin - much quicker than taking Gulf Breeze HW through Navarre and Mary Ester to Destin.

mississippi
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tulsa to Destin

This is just my opinion, but I would avoid Baton Rouge if at all possible. Traffic there is always bad.

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tulsa to Destin

You don't actually go through Baton Rouge proper- you're on highway around the outskirts of the city - I've never had any delay in that area. You then pick up I12 instead of going down to New Orleans and hit I10 again around Slidell.

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tulsa to Destin

After seeing tfw's location, he probably knows more about the area than I do - however, we usually eat dinner around the Baton Rouge area on our way to Mobile and I've never had any delay problems. Just my experience, maybe not everyone's.

8. Re: Tulsa to Destin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 20:20