We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New digital camera?

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Friendswood, Texas
Level Contributor
596 posts
1 review
Save Topic
New digital camera?

Can someone recommend a good digital camera to take pics in Destin??? We would like to take our own family pic on the beach with a tripod instead of hiring a beach photographer. Price range is up to $200.00 We are thinking about the Casio Exilim?

Louisville
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New digital camera?

We have a Sony Cybershot 5.0 MP. Takes great pics. Menu is easy to use. But, I'm sure that Casio will work just as well. Just remember, the higher the MPs, the better the pics are going to be.

A little tip I discovered last time we went down to the beach to take some pics: Be sure to take your camera outside to adjust to the humidity and temp. well before you start taking pics. I noticed that the first pics I took were blurry. Then I realized the camera lens had condensation on it because I took it from our nice, cool condo out into the hot, humid air. I would recommend putting it out on the patio for about a half hour before you walk down to the beach.

Friendswood, Texas
Level Contributor
596 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: New digital camera?

Thanks Oakae for your tips!! Anyone know of how good the Kodak Easy share is??? We were recommended to buy that one.

Colmar, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New digital camera?

I got one of the Kodak Easyshares for my daughter. It's been problem free. If you decide on a particular camera, take a look at Bizrate.com for comparison shopping. If you find a good deal, CALL the store and verify they have it in stock and can ship right away. If you are not set on a particular unit, think eBay; might find last year's model at a good price or a better model at what you want to spend. Good luck.

Saint Charles...
Level Contributor
866 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New digital camera?

I love my Nikon Coolpix. Great, clear pics with awesome color.

Lake Ontario
Level Contributor
293 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New digital camera?

Thanks for the tip about the humidity. Makes so much sense!

We got the Kodak Easy Share and like it a lot.

My only complaint is that it doesn't seem to take pictures very fast, so if you are trying to get an action shot (it doesn't sound like you are) it might be a challenge.

We are hoping to use ours for some nice family pictures on the beach this year as well.

:)

Cottage Hills...
Level Contributor
547 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New digital camera?

Digital cameras are temperature sensative. I would not recommend that you put your camera in the direct sun just to heat them up and eliminate the moisture caused by the cool/heat effect.

The electronics could be damaged, and you would soon need a new camera.

We use an insulated bag, which does the job adequately.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
470 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New digital camera?

A good site for reviews is dcresource.com. For point & shoot, I like the Sony W-series right now. Really great battery life.

Cincinnati Oh
Level Contributor
350 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New digital camera?

Epinions.com is another good research sight. I like my cannon 750. It has a 3 inch screen on the back.

Oxford, MS
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: New digital camera?

I bought a Sony w150 right before my trip to destin and the colors are beautiful. I had a Nikon Coolpix 5600 before and the pictures were good, but nothing like the sony. The sony also takes great indoor pictures, which my nikon couldn't compete with. The nikon's colors always seemed washed out.

I don't know if you'll be able to see this or not, but I took this picture inside with my Sony while I was in Destin:

…facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v288/3/110/6503…

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: New digital camera?

This is one of those situations where you always think your camera takes great pictures until you see a better one. LOL.