We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route from St. Louis, MO to Destin, FL

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best route from St. Louis, MO to Destin, FL

Hello:

Google maps shows two routes from St. Louis to Destin, Fl with almost equal times and distances.

One is I-55 South through Memphis, TN and the other is through Nashville, TN

I would like to maximize the use of Interstates and 4-lane highways and minimize the use of 2-lane roads.

Which route do you recommend and why?

What are the advantages of your recommended route?

Thanks,

proftom

MO
Level Contributor
589 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route from St. Louis, MO to Destin, FL

I use both routes when I go to Destin. I take the Nashville route going and the I-55 route coming back. The difference in mileage is not much under 10 miles to my house. But for more 4 lane and less 2 lane I would use the I-55 route. On the Nashville route after Montgomery I use the true and tested Baked route. It saves alot of time versus the 331 route I use to take. Have fun.

Cottage Hills...
Level Contributor
547 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route from St. Louis, MO to Destin, FL

St. Louis. When we visit the Florida Coast, we also like to either get their as quick as possible, or we take the more scenic route. If you take the route through Nashville, you will have a more scenic route, but you will find that it is much longer than the I-55 to I-12/10, and along the gulf coast.

We like the gulf coast route because we can stop along the coast and view the gulf maybe have a nice lunch at the abundant restaurants on the route, and the time seems to be better spent in so doing.

For instance, you can stop in Pensacola, or Ft Walton and park near the beach and get out and walk in the sand and breath the sea breeze, listen to the wave action and hear the gulls call out.

Also, and I forget this, if you are the gambling type, there are many nice places to do so passing through Mississippi's coast, especially if you visit the Beau Rivage. The Beau, also has a great buffet, which we highly recommend.

All in all, I think the route I recommend is quicker and more relaxing, enjoyable and quicker than the scenic route.

Having said this, you can also take the scenic route back home, and experience a new environ, and I would highly recommend the Smoky Mountain area in Sevier County, which is on the way to Nashville, but a slight detour. It certainly would be different than the Florida Coast, and perhaps enhance your vaction visit.

Good luck on whichever route you choose, and have a nice and safe visit.

location, location...
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route from St. Louis, MO to Destin, FL

here ya go from Nashville....

I-65 south to exit Alabama #114 (Georgiana), east on AL 106 to U.S. 31 south.

It merges with AL 55. Continue south toward Andalusia, then U.S. 29 south to AL 137 south toward Wing.

AL 137 becomes FL 189. Continue south on Fl 189 to Fl 4 to U.S. 90. East (left) on 90 to Antioch Rd. (Note: Coming from the north the road is called Antioch Road. From the south, it's PJ Adams Parkway). Take a right. This road bypasses Crestview and let's you out south of I-10 at FL 85.

Turn right (south) on FL 85 to Niceville and left at the T towards the MidBay Bridge.

Take the bridge ($2.50 toll) across the bay and at U.S. 98 go right to Destin, left to Sandestin or straight ahead to Crystal Beach.

Saint Charles...
Level Contributor
870 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best route from St. Louis, MO to Destin, FL

We have gone both ways and much prefer the Nashville route. I-55 is really bumpy and...well, I just prefer driving through Alabama over Mississippi. The Mississippi route seems so long as compared to the Nashville route.

I think it is a matter of preference, though.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best route from St. Louis, MO to Destin, FL

hello:

Thanks for all the useful info about routes.

Now a New question:

Do you drive it in two days, stopping for the night at a hotel somewhere.

If you stop, where do you stop?

And what hotel do you stay in?

Is there a hotel along the way where other snowbirds stop for the night and meet for dinner together?

If so, where and which hotel?

Thanks,

proftom

MO
Level Contributor
589 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best route from St. Louis, MO to Destin, FL

I drive it non-stop, both directions arriving and leaving.

location, location...
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best route from St. Louis, MO to Destin, FL

We would stay at the Hampton Inn at Greenville, AL. From there it's about 3 hours to Destin.

Saint Charles...
Level Contributor
870 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best route from St. Louis, MO to Destin, FL

We stay in Nashville over night. If we do not have our dog, we like to stay at the Nashville Airport Marriott. If we are traveling with our dog, we stay at the Drury Inn on Donnelson Pike.

Cottage Hills...
Level Contributor
547 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best route from St. Louis, MO to Destin, FL

St. Louis: To make this drive in one day makes for a very looooonnnggggg day. We break it up and stay overnight near I-55/12. We can usually get there in about 10 hours. I am not a fast driver.

After a long day of driving, I am ready for some R&R, and a good warm dinner.

I do not, nor am I acquainted with anyone from our area that would meet at a certain location, as we have always traveled alone, or with family. Sorry but I cannot help there. Maybe someone from your area in the St. Louis forums would know something in this regard, so you might post something on that forum and see what you can find.

Best I can do. Have a nice trilp.

Missouri
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best route from St. Louis, MO to Destin, FL

We stay in Birmingham, AL. About eight hours to Birmingham and another 4 1/2 to Destin.