We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stop overnight between St. Louis, MO and Destin, FL

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to stop overnight between St. Louis, MO and Destin, FL

Hello:

I will be driving from St. Louis, MO to Destin, Fl.

I plan to stop for the night at a hotel somewhere in between.

Any suggestions or ideas about where to stop?

Amy suggestions or ideas about what hotel to stay in?

Is there a hotel along the way where other snowbirds stop for the night and meet for dinner together?

If so, where and which hotel?

Thanks,

proftom

Lake Ontario
Level Contributor
293 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stop overnight between St. Louis, MO and Destin, FL

What route are you taking? It looks like it's only a 12 hour drive...

(I can say only since mine is about a 20 hour drive) :)

Man, if I only had a 12 hour drive I would go straight through!

:)

~NEC

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stop overnight between St. Louis, MO and Destin, FL

Hello northeastchick:

I plan on driving from St. Louis thru Nashville and then due south till the tires on my car get wet.

I will be following "Baked" directions from Nashville to Destin.

It is about a 13 hour trip plus stops to eat so I thought I'd divide it into two different days.

I was hoping to hook up with other snowbirds who stop between Nashville and Destin and have a relaxing dinner together about halfway to Destin.

So far I haven't found anyone who does this.

Thanks,

proftom

Lake Ontario
Level Contributor
293 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stop overnight between St. Louis, MO and Destin, FL

Hey Proftom,

Well, it looks like Decatur, Alabama is your halfway point if I am reading the map right. :) (I'm sure you must know that)

Anyhow, just for fun I looked to see what is recommended on TA for that area...their forum is pretty dead. However, a place called "Big Bob Gibson's Bar-B-Que" is highly recommended. They made it sound so good I may have to see if it is a place we go by! :)

I hope you get some replies like you are looking for...it might help if you say when you are coming down.

Hope you have a great trip.

~NEC

Illinois
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stop overnight between St. Louis, MO and Destin, FL

We have stopped at Prattville. Nice and safe area. If I recall correctly, it is about 10 miles before you get to Montgomery. As far as Bob Gibson' bbq-- it is worth a stop. We did it one year and it was worth the detour.

MO
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stop overnight between St. Louis, MO and Destin, FL

Hello! We have gone to Destin for the past 3 years and are going again this year. We live about 2 hours SW of St. Louis and in the past we have always stayed the night in Nashville. This year though we are going to drive a bit further to Birmingham, AL and stay the night there. Then we will only have about 5 hours to go to Seagrove beach! That means we will have plenty of time to hangout at the beach the day we arrive!

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stop overnight between St. Louis, MO and Destin, FL

I have driven to Destin many times from St. Louis. You did not say when you are checking in and what time. For me this determines where we spend the night.

When we check in on Satruday afternoon I always spend the night on Friday and Prattville is the best place to stay as it leaves about 4 hours of driving time -- and the trickiest 4 hours following the now acknowledged as the best directions from Baked.

There's a Hampton Inn at Prattville that is quite reasonable. It's new and clean and there are several restaurants around there.

p.s. there's a BBQ shack at the Georgiana exit that is superb. Get a sandwich to go there and eat on the way.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
926 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stop overnight between St. Louis, MO and Destin, FL

We stop every year at Montgomery Alabama and stay at the Embassy suites. Very nice hotel-great breakfast!

8. Re: Where to stop overnight between St. Louis, MO and Destin, FL

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 22:16