We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area is most family friendly

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Georgia
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Which area is most family friendly

We are looking to take in a few days in FL before school goes back. We are looking for a remote beach experience with no T-backs and skin everywhere. Just want a clean wholesome setting to spend some family time with my wife and children.

Can someone make some recommendations? I was told the big three (Destin, Panama City, and Ft. Walton Beach) are always busy and may not be what we are looking for. Is this an opinion. We are also on a limited budget but can swing around $100 a day hotel.

Thanks,

Tom

Hernando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,269 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area is most family friendly

I can advise you on the Destin area. For under $100 you will not find oceanfront. However, you might enjoy the new Wingate Inn - 850.654.4678. Rooms are around $85.

It is within easy walking distance to the Big Kahuna Waterpark, The Track and Putt Putt.

The beach is across the street and a couple blocks walk.

If you must have oceanfront without too many people you could stay at the Best Western on Okaloosa Island for around $130 per night (they may have specials) 850.243.9444.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area is most family friendly

What is a T-back?

Tennessee
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area is most family friendly

The "across the street" hotels near Big Kahuna are located on a very, very busy 4 lane highway that is actually a 6 lane at the crosswalks due to the turn lanes. I just returned from Destin this weekend and I didn't want my older teens crossing that highway...even with us in tow!!

Also, the beach access across the street for the most part is privately owned by the properties that are beach front. There are a few 10-foot public easements along this strand of beach, but you are limited to the 10-foot area if you want to stay from any length of time.

Wish I had an alternative suggestion. You might try some of the very small establishments on Scenic 98....there are only a small handful anymore. This area is much more family-friendly.

Of course, Seaside and Seagrove are quite and family friendly if you are looking for lowkey fun, but the rates are going to be more than your budget. (also, as of Saturday, the Seaside beach was still closed due to post-Dennis beach restoration efforts.)

Georgia
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area is most family friendly

Sorry t-back is a type of a bikini. Not a revealing as a string but pretty close...

Tom

Cincinnati Oh
Level Contributor
350 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which area is most family friendly

Hi 4cryn-You could get a great one bedroom condo with hallway bunks for the kids if you look hard enough. A lot of the rental agencies have end of summer rates with an extra 10% off from Aug 13- labor day. You could get Pelican Beach Resort for about $100 a night after the discounts. Just type in Desti Fl and search and look for the end of Summer deals. That's the only way my family can afford Destin on the beach.

North Louisiana
Level Contributor
206 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Which area is most family friendly

Panama City Beach - Spring Break capital. Lots of cruising in cars, older teens and college crowd. Lots of things to do.

Ft. Walton - older, cheaper probably (look up resortquest.com for lots of options), to me always seems a bit rundown, like it's heydey was in the 80s.

Destin - the best. We have taken our son there for more than a decade (he's 12 now) and there's always something to do. We have even done Spring Break there and noticed it was almost all families. Best choice by far, but rates may be higher. An aside, we used to always stay at Beach St. Cottages, which is more reasonable and great for famlies, but they have been sold to Fairfield Resorts (time share). I still recommend this place highly and I think there may be a way for non timeshare owers to stay there.

Now, for all of you who want to attack me for my opinon...don't. Just settle down. This is my opinion and I'm titled to it so don't be ugly. Take the high road.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which area is most family friendly

Since our Destin vacation got scuppered by Dennis we are going to try Mexico Beach, about 20 miles east of Panama City. The condo rents are about 1/2 to 2/3 what they are in Destin. From what I can tell it's the beach and that's about it. But maybe this might work for you. The beaches have the same white sugar sand, the water is perhaps not quite as pretty.

Anyone know anything about Mexico Beach? Any advice?

St Charles MO
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which area is most family friendly

scuppered? good word!

North Louisiana
Level Contributor
206 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Which area is most family friendly

This will bring up an infamous topic around here, but Mexico Beach is great for shelling. The sand is not nearly as white and the water is much less clear, but it seems to be a very nice place, very laid back and quiet. You are right that the accomodations are MUCH cheaper there, and very nice, too.

Level Contributor
1,424 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which area is most family friendly

I wouldn't stay at the Wingate Hotel at all. Above is correct, there is a busy 6 land highway AND lots of walking to get to the beach.

In fact, I am not sure that there is any public access for a good LONG walk.

Hwy 98 is dangerous for anyone to cross! JoeMammy may not remember that several people have been hit on that road.

Try a house in the Crystal Beach, Miramar Beach areas. A block off the beach will be down a sidewalk and across a very small two lane road. Plenty of beach access..