We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayaking the Gulf

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
1,216 reviews
Save Topic
Kayaking the Gulf

Perfect day for it, water smooth as glass, light occasional wind with a surprisingly warm sun. We are in and out of the hot tub warming up afterwards though.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,044 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kayaking the Gulf

You went Kayaking in the Gulf? The wind is stronger when you get out there isn't it? Wearing wet suits I hope?

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
1,216 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kayaking the Gulf

real men don't need no stinking wet suits. mrs bbq is upstairs in the theater room playing wii guitar hero

Lake Ontario
Level Contributor
293 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kayaking the Gulf

That is surprising b/c I JUST looked on MSN weather and Destin is one of my fav's so I clicked on it and it said there was a red flag warning.

(We, on the other had, are under a lake effect snow advisory.)

So for you to say the Gulf is as smooth as glass...that's a big difference!

??

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
1,216 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kayaking the Gulf

well trust me it was, and for that matter still is this second, as i just looked out the door. the sun is beginning it's slow steady decline, and the water is faintly lapping the shore. not to say that further out it may not be more blustry.

Hernando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kayaking the Gulf

You should rent you a Yolo for the day and paddle to the horizon and back standing up...that's gonna be my XXXXX present to myself. Prolly get one for Ms.Mammy too, she's says she's bored with paddling while sitting.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
1,216 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kayaking the Gulf

way i feel right now i may sell these things and buy stock in icy hot theraputic balm. exercise and me get along about like me and the viet nam war. i got a full dose in high school and haven't looked back upon it too fondly since. besides that with the addition of suma's shag ball to my collection i'll have more to hit into the water now. with my game it's never a matter of goiing for it across the water, as i always do, it's rather a matter of how far across i'll go. yet another excellent reason for me not to gamble.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,044 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Kayaking the Gulf

There can be a red flag warning because of the undertow or the rip tides. You can kayak fine on top of the water around those. It is confusing to some people when they come here and see water smooth as glass and see a red flag.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
1,216 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kayaking the Gulf

thanks for diplomatically clearing the air semco. i don't know what i'd call someone 1500 miles away correcting me about how the weather, which i am in, being, or the condition of the water i've been in all day being, and them feeling is so different after seeing a report from a news service, but mrs bbq can imagine, and from previous experience it is seldom pretty. like popeye i yam what i yam though. lovely day here once the chill left the air just before noon. though i have to admit i doubt i would have gone back out the thrid time without having that hot tub cranked up to 105. we really enjoyed the see thru glassbottom kayak today. saw what i am sure was a 4 foot shark moving very fast through it. not much else stirring though, a crab here n there, but not many fish. very calm waters.

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,769 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kayaking the Gulf

Yellow flags flying all day at Miramar and it was lapping at the shore for sunset. Smooth as a bathtub.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
1,216 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kayaking the Gulf

why is it i keep pinching myself humming...east coast girls are hip i really dig those clothes they wear....i keep wanting to suggest some one go ice fishing in the snowing wind, but ever thegentleman i will say how much i enjoy that vermont maple syrup on pancakes in the morning, and leave it at that.