We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attention lurkers!

Colmar, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,843 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Attention lurkers!

I know it's December, and most folks don't get heavy into planning until after the holidays. But really, this is the deadest time for this forum. Attention all lurkers (you know who you are - joined TA in 2006 and have 8 posts to your history).

Jump in now with some interesting and highly motivational questions that the rest of us can get our teeth into. Make those locals think outside of the box.

It's not the hokie pokie, so go ahead, put the RIGHT foot in first. The water's not cold. Go for it.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Attention lurkers!

Hmmm - here goes. How do I convince my kids that Destin is more fun than Disney World so I can rearrange my travel plans for next year?

kentucky
Level Contributor
338 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Attention lurkers!

Go to Destin anyway and when they ask why they're not at Disney World, get a shocked look on your face and say, "You mean this ISN'T Disney World?" Or tell them that even Mickey needs a vacation and you heard he would be in Destin, then hire somebody to dress up like Mickey and run around the beach.

Colmar, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,843 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Attention lurkers!

Unless Disney has an iron-clad trademark on the costumes, I see an opportunity here for some local entrepreneur. And if they do, franchise it from Disney.

Website posts where and when characters are likely to appear. Holiday Isle-10:00a.m. Crystal Beach-noon. Miramar Beach-2:00p.m.

Character breakfasts: Monday-Donut Hole; Tuesday-Another Broken Egg; Wed....

Photo opportunities galore.

This thinking outside the box is tiring.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Attention lurkers!

Ok - who's volunteering to be Mickey Mouse?

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,882 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Attention lurkers!

Buy me enough beers and you can probably convince me.

Seriously Linda - have they been to Disney World before? If they have do like I did to my son - the first trip was one me - after that you are one your own. He is an adult now and still hasn't gone back - maybe when he has kids.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Attention lurkers!

MBL - it's their first official Disney World trip (I don't count the time my son was 3, and I was pregnant with my daughter. We were in Orlando for other reasons & spontaneously decided to hit the Magic Kingdom park for 2 days.)

They will be 8 and 11 next summer; perfect ages for a visit. When Disney came out with the pay for 4 nights, get 3 free offer, I bit the bullet and booked the trip. I assure you it will be the one and only time Mom splurges on a Disney trip. And then we can go back to vacationing in Destin : )

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,882 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Attention lurkers!

OK - you have to go - sorry no pass. They are the perfect age - my son was 10 when we went. I am sure you will have a great time. - Remember we are only a 6-7 hours away.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Attention lurkers!

I agree completely MBL. They are big enough to ride all the rides and not so old that they haven't lost their spirit of imagination. If I could afford more time off work we would drive and at least get a day at the beach on the way - but I think Orlando is just a little too far for a road trip.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,808 posts
1,258 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Attention lurkers!

mbl. i think with enough beer you'd be a great mickey

Colmar, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,843 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Attention lurkers!

Speaking of lurkers, there's someone we haven't heard from in quite a while. She's a contest winner and a TA social hostess.

Perhaps if we start coaxing she'll come out of lurkdom.

Then we can discuss travel or something. Yeah, that's the ticket. On topic and all that.