We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Destin compared to Sanibel in June/July

Ohio
Level Contributor
120 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Destin compared to Sanibel in June/July

Hello,

We are considering a trip to Florida this June or early July. Last year we went to Sanibel in February and really liked it. However, because this year it will be June or July, would Sanibel be scorchingly hot? Is June/July a bad time for the red tide or other issues? Is Destin extremely hot, or is it pretty temperate?

I've been reading that some people really like Destin. Can anyone offer their opinion on Sanibel vs. Destin?

What we liked about Sanibel:

*the beauty, peacefulness, and *cleanliness* of the beach (the sand and the clear water...and no hgh rises to obstruct the view)

*the relaxed, non-touristy vibe

*the bike paths

*the cute little restaurants

It's just my husband, myself and our 3 year old son w/cerebral palsy who is in a wheelchair (we will likely have an "all-terrain" wheelchair, well, as all-terrain as a wheelchair can be)

Thanks for any advice!

Linda

Ohio
Level Contributor
120 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Destin compared to Sanibel in June/July

Oh, I should also explain that although our son is 3 years old, he has the motor and cognitive skills of a 5 month old (he cannot walk, talk or crawl or anything like that).

So the water park would not be that fun for him, especially since he HATES the coldness of most pools.

Thanks for any words of wisdom!

Linda

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,804 posts
1,222 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Destin compared to Sanibel in June/July

if there is a better beach, sand and surf in florida other than destin i haven't found it yet. sand compares with that found in aruba, and the water is as clear and clean.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
274 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Destin compared to Sanibel in June/July

I have enjoyed my visits to Sanibel/Captiva in the winter but have never been there in the summer so can't comment on the weather. However, I will say my family likes Destin/Beaches of South Walton the best-- the soft white sand is unbeatable. The tourqoise blue water amazing. In the summer the ocean is bathtub warm. While surf conditions can be very unpredictable and must be respected when playing in any ocean, I have spent many contented hours just gently floating in the calm ocean on the Emerald Coast wrapped up with a pool noodle.

I would peg the Destin area to be more akin to Sanibel while the beaches of South Walton down Hwy 30A more like Captiva-- cute restaurants and shops, meandering bike path, only low rise buildings and low density. Be sure to look at beach access-- many places have beach access via a set of stairs especially along 30A. Generally speaking, the sand is soft and I would imagine it would be difficult to push wheeled vehicles along the beach but people do bring wagons to cart their beach belongings-- it just wouldn't be easy to take a beach "stroll" as the sand is not hard packed. There are several State parks in the area which do have accessible walking paths though. Driving to Destin is closer than driving to Sanibel (if that is a factor). My family (who have been to both places) would vote for the Destin area in the summer -- even in the winter Destin (which is cooler than Sanibel) may be the winner as well.

4. Re: Destin compared to Sanibel in June/July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 05:23