We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need some help creating a guide for guests

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Topic
Need some help creating a guide for guests

I am drafting a small book of info to leave in our rental house so guests not familiar with the area have information about local restaurants, shopping and attractions. I need your extensive knowledge to help me fill in the blanks! Thus far, I've got:

Restaurants: Crab Trab, Pompano Joe's, Theo's, Back Porch, Fudpuckers, Marina Club (I'm spacing out on the name ... the place on the marina)

Shopping: outlets, Destin Commons

Attractions: The Track, Big Kahuna, movie theatre, Baytowne Wharf, fishing

What am I missing? Do the categories sound right or should I add more? You will be cited and credited in the book for your contributions if you so desire. ;)

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
1,150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need some help creating a guide for guests

seems like the last time i got cited there was something about a booking

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,537 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need some help creating a guide for guests

Might want to include info about Turtles.

Turtle Nesting Season is from May 1st-October 31st. These endangered turtles has blessed the Emerald Coast as their only nesting habitat.

It is part of our responsibility to respect and help protect the turtles and their eggs.

Please help our Sea Turtles have a successful nesting and hatching season by being Sea Turtle friendly. Turtles lay their eggs where you play.

Please follow these simple rules -

1. Remove any beach items you have brought to the beach at night, these are a hazard for Sea Turtles and may cause them not to nest.

2. Turn off any lights that can be seen from the beach. Close blinds and curtain for inside lights. (If you are staying on the beach)

3. At night when spending time on the beach, please only use a red light bulb flashlight or cover yours with heavy red film.

4. After your day at the beach, smooth out your sandcastles and fill in your holes. Turtles can fall in them and get hurt or stranded.

5. Sea Turtle eat floating plastic mistaking it for one of their favorite foods- jellyfish, ingested plastic can kill a sea turtle. Please put your trash in a trash can. They are provided all down the beach.

6. If you see a nesting Sea Turtle, stay well back from here and be very quitet. Do not shine any light on her or take any flash photos. Seeing a Turtle nesting can be a once in a lifetime experience, so don't do anything that would disrupt the memories.

7. If you ever see a nesting or hatchling sea turtle call the Walton County Sheriff at 267-2000 or the Okaloosa County Sheriff at 651-7400 and give them the location ad best as you can so it can be marked and protected.

8. Lastly, turtle nests are very well marked and roped off. Please do NOT go inside the roped areas. That will disturb the eggs and nest.

Thank you so much for your help. Remember, this is their playground first, then ours.

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,537 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need some help creating a guide for guests

Might also want to list WIFI spots - I think Joe posted a list once upon a time of them.

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,537 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need some help creating a guide for guests

Do Beach Warning Flags and Rip Current info

Beach Warning Flags:

Find out the conditions of rip currents and marine pests of the water before you get in.

* Double Red: Water Closed to Public

* Red: High Hazard

* Yellow: (pictured on right): Medium Hazard

* Green: Low Hazard

* Purple: Dangerous Marine Life (sharks, jellyfish, etc

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,537 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need some help creating a guide for guests

Go to seemoresafetycrab.com for info etc.

kentucky
Level Contributor
338 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need some help creating a guide for guests

Good idea, FlipFlopInn. I definitely agree with MBL about the flag safety system and the turtles. Also, when I see a list of restaurants, I like for them to be sub-divided by category. For instance, the type of food they serve, but also if the place is extreme casual, business casual, good for kids, good for a romantic night out, etc. Most places I know are casual, but some visitors might not know that. You know, the people who (heaven forbid) don't use Trip Advisor! :)

Saint Charles...
Level Contributor
866 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need some help creating a guide for guests

I always find it helpful to find a list of restaurants that deliver to that particular house, including pizza. It is awesome to learn of chinese delivery, etc, but even the basics of which Papa John's or Dominos is the right one is incredibly helpful for those nights in.

Colmar, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need some help creating a guide for guests

The restaurant is Marina Cafe (fine dining, very good). Consider adding churches and worship times; not sure, but the chanber of commerce website may be helpful with that.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Need some help creating a guide for guests

You guys are awesome. This is all great information. I never would have thought about adding the sea turtle information but what a great idea, as well as the information about the flags and worship services.

Keep it coming!

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
908 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need some help creating a guide for guests

I think the Beach Flag Safety should be on the top of the list. The condos we've stayed in have it laminated & placed on the fridge.

Restaurants: McGuire's, AJ's, The Boathouse & LaPaz(mexican)

Attractions: The Harbor-Charter fishing, pontoon rentals & Dolphin cruises. The Okaloosa Island Pier & the Gulfarium