We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purple Balloons w/Tentacles Out Today

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hernando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,269 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Purple Balloons w/Tentacles Out Today

It is so beautiful out I had to escape the office and went for the 500 meter mosey out to the west jetty.

Tons of fishing birds, dolphins and large schools of bait were all in the pass...and very few people were out walking around.

Saw at least 12 Portuguese man-o-wars washed up on the beach, I hope they come and go early this year.

kentucky
Level Contributor
338 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Purple Balloons w/Tentacles Out Today

Can I come work for you? I would love to escape the office and go for a walk by the water!

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
711 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Purple Balloons w/Tentacles Out Today

The next time you go for a walk on the beach, we would love to see a video!

Conway, Arkansas
Level Contributor
774 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Purple Balloons w/Tentacles Out Today

JoeMammy; I need clarification here; When I was there this past summer, these little round shaped, kind of flourescent blue around the edges, with opaque centers and flourescent blue tenticles around the edges kept washing up on Miramar Beach. I was told by a lifeguard they were baby portuguese man-of-wars, (or would that be men-of-war?). Then some lady from Houston, TX told me she thought they were some different species of jellyfish. They were actually quite pretty, but everyone was afraid of them because they didn't know what they were. They were not what I would expect baby man-of-wars to look like, but the lifeguard seemed to be confident in his answer. They were about the size of a quarter. Can you shed some light?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Purple Balloons w/Tentacles Out Today

We saw a few of those blue ones washed up on the beach when we were there last week. What ARE they?

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,506 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Purple Balloons w/Tentacles Out Today

I think you are referring to the Blue Buttons - they do not sting

check out the picture here and for more info

beachhunter.net/thingstoknow/…index.htm

Conway, Arkansas
Level Contributor
774 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Purple Balloons w/Tentacles Out Today

Yep MBL, that's what they were! Thanks for satisfying my curiosity. FlipFlopInn, your husband was right :-).

London, Canada
Level Contributor
274 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Purple Balloons w/Tentacles Out Today

My family referred to those little gelantinous blobs as "sea buggers". Good to know a more technical name!

location, location...
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Purple Balloons w/Tentacles Out Today

Blue Button (Porpita porpita) - Blue Buttons are not true jellyfish, but are Chondrophores. These are actually colonies of polyps (NOTE - not like the ones in your colon, OK?). In other words, they are like a tiny colony of animals. Each animal contributes something different to the colony. Some form the central disk, while others form the tentacles. Blue buttons exist in colonies, and mass beachings frequently occur since they are at the mercy of the wind and water currents. Blue buttons generally measure 1.5 inches across or less, and are generally dark blue or turquoise in color, although a lemon-yellow color variant sometimes occurs.

Blue buttons, like the Portuguese Man of War, and the By-the-wind-sailor (velella velella), are not true jellyfish, although they are closely related. They are all in the same phylum (cnidaria).

What distinguishes them from true jellyfish is the fact that they are, as mentioned above, made up of small colonies of cooperative polyps, rather than being a single animal.

They do not sting, but touching them may cause skin irritation.

And now you know. Remember, knowledge is power!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Purple Balloons w/Tentacles Out Today

Damn Baked, did you just recite that off the top of your head? I, for one, am totally impressed.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Purple Balloons w/Tentacles Out Today

LOL, Trip Advisor didn't censor the word DAMN - he he he. Can you tell I've been drinking cheap beer?