We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite Summer Week?

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
928 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Favorite Summer Week?

I have reservations for the 1st week of June. I have always went in mid June around Fathers Day & been happy with the weather. I am now thinking of waiting until later July. We can only go in the summer months because of school. The last week of May through the 1st week of August is summer break for school.

I know I'm asking the Crystal Ball question. Just wondering I guess, when is everyone's favorite summer time to go? Is there a big weather difference between early June & late July?

Thanks

Santa Rosa Beach...
Level Contributor
626 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favorite Summer Week?

It's funny, before I even clicked to see the details of your post, my immediate response was "first week of June". Then I found out that was when you are going. I've been going to Destin in the first or second week of June for years now, and have always been happy. Usually, it's not quite as hot and humid as in July and August. Even just a few degrees cooler makes a difference. For example, often in early June I can eat breakfast outside on the condo balcony, whereas it is just too uncomfortably hot for that in July and August. July is definitely the most crowded month. One plus for the second half of August is most of the schools in the south have started by then, so this may be the least crowded time of summer. However, you can be sure that it will be extremely hot and humid then, and you also have to worry about hurricanes.

Missouri
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
1,909 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Favorite Summer Week?

We go to Destin in June and October. We have gone in September, but June is fantastic. Really Oct/Sept is great too! I'm not very good at choosing!! haha BarB

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,558 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Favorite Summer Week?

I would also say beginning of June. Sunny, still cool (to a Texan) and no Jellies or Jume grass. The westher is much hotter in late July than early June. I've been in late May, June, July and am thinking of trying early August this year. That's only because I'm going on another vacation in June this year.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favorite Summer Week?

We once visited right after the kids got out of school - the 2nd week of June. It was a lovely time to visit - June grass was mostly gone; only had to deal with remnants of one hurricane (actually it was the waves from the distant hurricane that took care of the remaining June grass : )

I think you have an advantage going in early June as the crowds are not in full force like they will be for the month of July. I have visited in Mid August as well and I think June was a little milder and more pleasant, but honestly I am the type of person who doesn't mind 90's and humid as long as I have a gulffront accomodation with a breeze.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
41 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Favorite Summer Week?

We are going the last week in May (23rd - 30th) and I'm worried the water is going to be too cool. We normally go a little later in summer (mid-June to early July). Again, I know no one can predict the weather but is it normally warm by the end of May? I know it will be crowded considering it's Memorial Day weekend. Crowds I can handle, no swimming I can not!!! :) Thanks!

Colmar, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,814 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Favorite Summer Week?

L2V-We're accustom to that particular week. I believe you'll find it cool as you enter the water, but keep going, once you're wet, the sun will feel great and you'll be fine.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,558 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Favorite Summer Week?

It's too cool for me to get wet other than up to my knees. Of course I'm not like John who is used to cold weather.I still like that time of year though.

mississippi
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Favorite Summer Week?

We normally go anywhere from the first to third week in June. This year, however, we have to go the first week of July. I know it's going to be crowded (hence the decision to stay on Scenic 98 instead of Holiday Inn on Destin Beach), but the alternative is no Destin this year and that's just not acceptable!

Anyone been during the first week of July? Is it unbearable?

Hernando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,290 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Favorite Summer Week?

Anyone been during the first week of July? Is it unbearable?

Unbearable?? Hardly! That is my favorite week of the summer. It contains the quintesstial holiday that represents patriotism, backyard bbq and the beach!

Destin puts on a great fireworks show down at the harbor.

Broken Bow, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Favorite Summer Week?

I always enjoyed the weekend after the 4th of July.