We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How big are the waves in Destin?

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
1 post
Save Topic
How big are the waves in Destin?

We are going on vacation this summer and I love to boogie board. Ive boogie board in Port Aransas in Texas and Also in California, but the waves in Texas (Port Aransas) which is near Galvastine Corpus, were fine for me

So I was Wondering are the waves in Destin big enough for me to boogie board?

Destin, FL
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
2,855 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How big are the waves in Destin?

Depends on the weather and the winds, but generally, there is a stiff enough southerly breeze to kick up waves big enough to boogie board on every day....

(notice I said generally!)

If you were asking about surfing, it would be a different answer though....

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How big are the waves in Destin?

totally dude, like 50 ft high crests....gnarly.

just joking, waves are decent size to boogie board..depends on the weather kinda. Its can be decent if there is some wind.

Hernando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,273 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How big are the waves in Destin?

Had lunch today at Pompano Joes. There were about a dozen surfers out in the water riding shoulder high waves.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How big are the waves in Destin?

Ditto. The waves are unusually big today but they change day to day. Today, five footers. Tomorrow could be as calm as a lake. You never know but either way, it's beautiful

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
531 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How big are the waves in Destin?

I would say the waves in Destin are a little bigger than what I usually see on the west end of Galveston. In my experience the mornings are calmer but usually in the evenings the waves pick up-that's when I see the most boogyboarding usually.

The sand and water are a million times prettier than what I've ever seen in Texas beaches (no offense to my Great State!).

Have a great trip!

Navarre, Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How big are the waves in Destin?

Waves can be anywhere from glass flat to 8 feet depending on the weather. Lately the waves have been decent. Make sure to read up on rip currents before going out in big waves.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,794 posts
1,166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How big are the waves in Destin?

about so high.....relax, they are great~

8. Re: How big are the waves in Destin?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 00:19