We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for family (ages 4-44) in Destin starting May 9

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Arkansas
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for family (ages 4-44) in Destin starting May 9

My family is vacationing in Destin starting May 9 for a week. Our ages range from 4 to 44 and I was wanting to know suggestions for places to eat, things to do, places to party and any other information to help make our stay enjoyable for all. What was or are your favorites?

Louisville
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for family (ages 4-44) in Destin starting May 9

I copied this from an earlier post I made:

"My wife and I have 3 daughters, 13, 11 and 6.

Something fun that we always enjoy as a family is driving into Sandestin and taking their little ferry over to Baytowne Wharf. There is a parking area just inside the main gate. And the ferry is a dollar I think. Your daughter will get a kick out of it. Then walk around Baytowne and check out the shops, listen to some live music, have dinner, let her try out the playground, get some ice cream, etc., etc.

Fun way to spend an evening.

For a little sight-seeing, take a drive out to Seaside. Be sure to park and walk around for a while. Nice place, very pretty setting."

We also enjoy dining at Pompano Joe's. Not 4 star cuisine, but always a good meal at a decent price, and the view is unbeatable.

We like to do the "AYCE crabs" night at Elmo's (Thursday night) out on 30A. Again, not fresh, but it's a fun atmosphere. Kids will have a ball dancing the limbo, hokey-pokey, etc.

We always enjoy our meal at Maguire's. Good food.

Have a walk on the Harborwalk.

Mostly we just play on the beach and relax around the pool.

Have fun

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
711 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for family (ages 4-44) in Destin starting May 9

Big Kahunas and The Original Seablaster are fun for all ages. The bumper boats at The Track are fun, too. Eat at Red Bar in Grayton Beach.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for family (ages 4-44) in Destin starting May 9

I love these threads! I forgot about the Red Bar! Adding that to my list! We will be there right after you, Arkie.

Our favorite place to eat is the Old Bay Steamer. We always make sure to stop there when we are in town.

For things to do, we always enjoy renting a boat and taking it to Crab Island, taking the boys (ages 9,7, and 4)fishing, doing our own "snorkeling adventure" etc. There are jetski rentals too, but with lots of people, that gets $$$.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
38 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for family (ages 4-44) in Destin starting May 9

We will be there just a couple weeks later. Our group has about the same age range. We love to eat at The Back Porch and we really enjoyed the dolphin cruise with Southern Star. Hope ya'll have a great time!

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,794 posts
1,166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for family (ages 4-44) in Destin starting May 9

the red bar will knock your socks off...enjoy!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for family (ages 4-44) in Destin starting May 9

I always have to chime in here and suggest going to the Naval Air Museum and see the Blue Angels practice. They practice at 8:30am on Tues and Wed, and the pilots are available for autographs after the Wed session. It's about two hours from Destin but worth it!

navalaviationmuseum.org/Activities/BlueAngel…

Kansas City
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for family (ages 4-44) in Destin starting May 9

100% agree on the previous comment regarding the Blue Angels - totally worth the drive to Pensacola. Went to yesterday's practice and it was a great experience. They have an area of stands set-up so that you can watch the Blue's and have guides talking about each of their manuevers and a bit of history - a nice touch. We left Destin at 6:00 AM and made it in plenty of time. Have fun!

Central Illinois...
Level Contributor
394 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for family (ages 4-44) in Destin starting May 9

One of our favorite activities ever in Destin was canoeing on the Blackwater River. It is about an hour drive up towards Niceville but was so worth it for our family- 2 30's adults and 2 kids, 6 and 8. It was like a real life lazy river- sand bars everywhere, you could get out and swim, water was clear and fresh- no gators but we did see a wild turkey. Didn't see any fish. The kids wanted to go back every day for the rest of the trip. It was especially a great find for us because the beach was full of seaweed until our very last day there, so no playing in the ocean. Bummer! Go to blackwatercanoe.com for more info. if you are interested. I wonder if all of the rain this spring has made it less lazy.

9. Re: Suggestions for family (ages 4-44) in Destin starting May 9

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2009, 05:41