We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timer's Report - 6/6-6/13

League City, TX
Level Contributor
116 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
First Timer's Report - 6/6-6/13

Well, we are trying to get back into "real life" mode from our first trip to Destin. We had a blast! The weather was absolutely amazing last week. We stayed at the Bimini House from Ocean Reef Resorts. It was in Crystal Shores. It was a great location, and a good house. It is a great layout for multi-families, & clean but it is definitely a rental (floors were worn, walls marred, etc). The cleaning crew that was assigned to the house didn't show, and after 1 call to Ocean Reef, they had 3 other crews there within a half hour,and they fixed our issues as quick as they could. Kudos to them for that! The pool was smallish, but the kids didn't care, as they were in it everytime we were not at the beach. Not sure I would stay in this house again, but I had zero issues with Ocean Reef, and would definitely look in this neighborhood.

Saturday - Arrival Day

Got settled in, unpacked, etc. Walked down to the beach for a bit, and just relaxed after a long drive. Ordered some Pizza Hut, as we really didn't feel like messing with anything.....

Sunday

Beach, beach, and more beach! Beautiful weather, calm waters. It was a great day! Had dinner at the house, and played in the pool in the PM.

Monday

Bluewater Bay - One of the "freebies" with Ocean Reef's. It was a decent course, nothing spectactuler, but with the free round, it was better than good. Ended up costing $45 after the 3 of us split the freebie. Played early, while the kids/wives were sleeping in, caught up with them for lunch, and headed to the beach with the kids. While we were at the beach, the wives made thier way to the Outlets. I guess we "saved" money, even though we didn't need the stuff they bought....But that's shopping I guess. We ended up a Fudpuckers that evening for dinner. Food was OK, nothing to write home about, a little on the pricey side for what you get. The kids had a ball at this place. Feeding & petting the gators, etc. Neat place, despite the so-so food. Great weather all day long!

Tuesday

Big Kahuna's Water Park - Despite some of the mixed reviews we read, we went anyway. Had some troubles getting into the gate, I think thier computers were down, but once inside we had a ball. Not a huge place, but it worked just fine for us. We stayed there most of the day, then did some shopping at the souvenier shops near by. Burgers on the grill that evening poolside. Great weather all day long!

Wednesday

Fort Walton Beach Golf Course - For a Municipal course, we were pretty impressed. They had some troubles with their sprinkler system, so the greens weren't in the best shape. Give this place another couple of weeks, and it will be in good shape. You can't beat it for the $40 fee's. Wednesday afternoon, back to the beach! Wednesday night we went to the Back Porch for dinner. Great location and pretty good food. Great weather all day long (seeing a pattern yet?)!

Thursday

Indian Bayou Golf Course - This place was in great shape, and a very challenging course. Fee's ran about $80 I think, but it was well worth it. They had crews all over the place, fixing divots, racking traps, etc. If I come back, I will definitely play this track again. Thursday PM, gave the wives some quiet time again, and took the kids to The Track. The kid's really like this play. Played some putt-putt, go karts, bumper boats, video games, etc. Good stuff, just bring your wallet! (I gave myself a don't say no to reasonable requests law). Hot dogs at the house by the pool that evening. Once again, great weather all day long!

Friday

Beach, beach, and more beach. Ordered some pizza from Domino's that evening, mainly cause we had a REALLY good time at the beach. Great weather for our last day in Destin.

Saturday

Finished packing up, and hit the road. :( It took us about 10 hours to get home, but we stopped to eat, fuel, etc. I am thinking you could make it in 9:15-9:30 if it was just adults eating on the fly.

Overall it was a good first trip. It was so good, I am trying to figure out how to finagle a business trip to Mobile the week of July 4th, and slide over for a Wednesday thru Sunday deal.....

Thanks to all who post here, you really gave us some good ideas!

Mentioned in this post
Destin
Destin
Florida Panhandle, FL
Bimini
Bimini
Out Islands
Fort Walton Beach
Fort Walton Beach
Florida Panhandle, FL
Mobile
Mobile
Alabama
The Back Porch
The Back Porch
3,540 Reviews
Destin, FL
Bass Pro Shops
Gift & Speciality Shops
Sadie Lane
Gift & Speciality Shops
Smith's Antique Mall
Antique Stores, Shopping Malls
Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,498 posts
601 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Timer's Report - 6/6-6/13

Sounds like a great trip. My step dad has played Indian Bayou for years and has always liked it. Next trip try The Raven at Sandestin. It's challenging, was a Senior tour stop at one time and hubby got a great afternoon rate there a couple of years ago.

Fudpuckers is fun for kids but the wait and food quality doesn't always please the grown ups! We're big fans of Ciao Bella pizza (at the outlet mall), you have to pick up but it's good stuff.

Glad ya'll had such great water and weather for your 1st trip!

Mentioned in this post
Sandestin
Sandestin
Florida Panhandle, FL
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
435 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Timer's Report - 6/6-6/13

Very nice trip report..............

Thanks for taking the time to post your experience.......

Missouri
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Timer's Report - 6/6-6/13

This was a great report. Loved reading it. Thanks for sharing. We go in 4 days and are very excited! Thx again, BarB

4. Re: First Timer's Report - 6/6-6/13

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2009, 07:41