We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Animal Was This?

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
atlanta
Level Contributor
258 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
What Animal Was This?

I've owned a condo on Santa Rosa Beach for ten years so I'm accustomed to seeing a variety of nurse sharks, dolphins, and even sea turtles. Today something really big and black passed about 10 feet in front of me in the water. It was going really slow at first then took off down the beach. The people on shore thought it was about 8-10 feet long. Have sharks this big been seen recently in Destin? I'm at Santa Rosa Beach.

Hernando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,273 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What Animal Was This?

That would be Ole Toofey himself. Could have been any number of sharks- bull, hammerhead, lemon, sand maybe even a mako although they are more pelagic they have been seen off of the Okaloosa pier.

atlanta
Level Contributor
258 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What Animal Was This?

Is it common to see them in mid-day? I know to stay out of the water at dusk and in the evening but always felt pretty safe during the day, especially with the water being so clear.

Hernando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,273 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What Animal Was This?

Sounds like you scared him. If your condo is tall enough you can see them throughout the day. Don't worry about them, you are not on their diet.

atlanta
Level Contributor
258 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What Animal Was This?

This shark came back today in 3 feet of water near Dune Allen Beach. He's about 10 feet long and so big he was sticking out of the water since it was so shallow. A couple was sitting on their knees in the water when he came about 5 feet from them. Scared them half to death.

A sheriff's helicopter has been flying up and down the beach today. Are they looking for sharks or is this a normal daily thing?

Hernando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,273 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What Animal Was This?

What makes you think it is the same one? The one you saw is probably in Pensacola by now.

atlanta
Level Contributor
258 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What Animal Was This?

Good point!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What Animal Was This?

Actually soona99, that's just one of 80 new jelly and june grass vacuums now in action along the northern Florida gulf coast!

Shouldn't mess with Mother Nature? The Emerald Coast just says, "Bring it!"

atlanta
Level Contributor
258 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What Animal Was This?

See, I knew there was a good reason the water was clear this August instead of the soupy seaweed we normally have. :)

midwest, IL
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What Animal Was This?

it's a good think my 4yo son can't read and my girls don't know this page exists! We are planning our first ever trip to the ocean, to FWB, in Oct...my son just told me the other day that he's not going b/c he will get eaten by a shark if he goes in the ocean. I told him it's not the ocean , it's the gulf.......

Tennessee
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What Animal Was This?

Don't sweat it, akamjn. The number of sightings seem to be pouring into the forum but if I could point out one thing...what's NOT happening with all these sightings? No one's getting the ultimate encounter. They're cruising, just checking things out and going on about their business.

Just give them the same respect and space you would a strange dog and you'll be fine.