We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be aware of Alabama Speed Traps

destin florida
Level Contributor
526 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Be aware of Alabama Speed Traps

Any of you coming down thru Alabama need to be careful. #55 is the worst. Alabama has all their troopers out plus numerous un-marked cars. Speed is

not the only ticket they write. They are also writing tickets for not coming to a complete stop at stop signs and following the car in front of you too close.

Newburgh, IN
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Be aware of Alabama Speed Traps

Thanks for the tip. We're heading down this weekend and will keep an eye out.

East TN
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Be aware of Alabama Speed Traps

Thanks for that. Getting pulled over on the way down would be a poor way to start a vacation. Seems like there should be better things for them to do these days.

Destin, FL
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
2,932 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Be aware of Alabama Speed Traps

Its a shame that they actually have to enforce THE LAW?!?

Be careful on the way to Destin, the only worse way to start your trip to Destin would be not to make it here because you had a wreck.

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,689 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Be aware of Alabama Speed Traps

Thanks Drink for the warning - I have a tendency to drive too fast - we had friends that got involved in a wreck last weekend with 2 adults - 5 kids in the vehicle because a guy in a vette clipped a guy he was passing - lost control and jumped the medium and went right into them. Thank God no one was badly injured but we did have to help get them home from Navarre because their vehicle had to get towed away - The vette guy is lucky our friend swerved when he saw him coming - otherwise he would not be around.

Evansville, IN
Level Contributor
54 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Be aware of Alabama Speed Traps

Thanks for the warning. We once got pulled over in I10 going west for changing lanes too much.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Be aware of Alabama Speed Traps

Thanks for the heads up. This just adds fuel to the fire...I always get a little(ok, a lot)tense when hubby drives too fast. I'll be sure to let him read this ;)

Kentucky
Level Contributor
133 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Be aware of Alabama Speed Traps

We got stopped in August coming home, will definately take the freeway next time and not the backroads.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Be aware of Alabama Speed Traps

Good to know...

Hopefully the police presence is just to keep us all safer on their roads :)

I get a little frustrated with drivers not using turn signals, driving on my bumper, weaving in and out of traffic...oh...sorry for the rant :)

Ohio
Level Contributor
89 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Be aware of Alabama Speed Traps

Just returned and we definately had encounters with speed traps. After reading here I knew to be careful and the car in front of me sped on and bingo pulled over by unmarked car. What gives with 50mph sign and then 500 feet or less 40mph sign - we are still scatching our heads about that! Baked's directions were great but missed a turn on the way home and had to turn around and find it. Our fault talking too much. Wonderful week and full moon just icing on the cake.

destin florida
Level Contributor
526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Be aware of Alabama Speed Traps

tatergm, Glad you had a good trip. Also glad you did not get a ticket. Like I warned everybody, it is not about driving too fast but about traps set up to make money.