We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

i'm in Destin...question on what to do

Houston
Level Contributor
181 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
i'm in Destin...question on what to do

So I'm a little sad. The weather has been pretty chilly... so much so we can't really spend time at the beach. I think we have run out of things to do. We have spent time at Harborwalk, Baytowne Wharf, walked the Destin Commons, the outlet shops, last night even went to the movies.

We have ate at Ajs, saw the fish weigh in, Doughnut Hole, Chillys, gilligans.

So do you guys have any ideas what else we can do today?

Mentioned in this post
Destin Commons
Destin Commons
348 Reviews
Destin, FL
MO
Level Contributor
589 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: i'm in Destin...question on what to do

Go to the Air Force museum. Try eating at Dewey Destins on the harbor just above Baby J's. Also try Kenny D's and have some gumbo it will surely take the chill out of you. They are located on Scenie 98.

Mentioned in this post
Baby J's
Baby J's
1 Review
Destin, FL
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: i'm in Destin...question on what to do

Take a drive down 30 A and stop at the Red Bar for dinner.

Wonderful food.

Colmar, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,841 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: i'm in Destin...question on what to do

A couple of days ago, Joe Mammy posted about the Destin History and Fishing Museum. When you're done, if you're heading east on Hwy 98, stop at Banana Bart's, on your right side, and look around. If you like aviation, the Air Force Armement Museum on Hwy 85 by the Northwest Florida Regional Airport (aka Ft, Walton, VPS). Navel Museum in Pensecola.

Mentioned in this post
Banana Bart's
Banana Bart's
16 Reviews
Destin, FL
Missouri
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: i'm in Destin...question on what to do

Sit on your balcony/deck and watch the waves. I think it is gonna warm up soon. Hope you can have at least one warm day on the beach!

lexington, ky
Level Contributor
744 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: i'm in Destin...question on what to do

My husband, being the ingenious guy he is, went out to Home Depot on 98and bought some wooden stakes and thumbtacks. He erected a windbreak using the stakes, about 5 of our beach towels, fastening them to the stakes with the thumbtacks. (we were VERY careful not to lose any in the sand, don't worry).

Worked like a charm and we got to sit on the beach in our swimsuits very comfortably. The water was beautiful to look at for sure. The sun was amazingly warm if you stayed out of the wind! Came all this way for the beach and we still got to enjoy it. Thanks to the dear husband! And believe me, I get cold easily...

Arkansas
Level Contributor
1,306 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: i'm in Destin...question on what to do

I vote Pensacola Naval Museum. I also very much like the beach towel beach shelter idea.

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,498 posts
601 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: i'm in Destin...question on what to do

30A is great, check out Seaside, lots of shops, galleries, places to eat. Red Bar has good food and great music. Stinky's Fish Camp has great food and often has good live music.

Hope it warms up for ya!

Mentioned in this post
Seaside
Seaside
Florida Panhandle, FL
Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,808 posts
1,257 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: i'm in Destin...question on what to do

go to jambones and split one of their gigantic chili dogs

9. Re: i'm in Destin...question on what to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2010, 05:18