We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 10/3-10/10

Tennessee
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
Trip Report 10/3-10/10

Started out early (5:30am) from Nashville to get to Destin by around 2:00pm. Had great traffic all the way until....somewhere in the middle of what seems like no where, a flat tire. Using Baked's directions, we were just in Florida and our flat happened just outside of Conecuh National Forest. These incredibly nice men from a church helped us, and we ended up making it the rest of the way into Destin with no problem. Didn't see one cop, but did see all the different speed limit signs everywhere. I made hubby be extra careful. Checked into Crystal Villas, not the most luxurious condo, but it has what we need - on the beach and in a great location. Plus, we can afford to go to Destin twice a year just by staying there!! Unit was good inside, and it really was comfortable. Beach was not crowded, and the complimentary beach service was budget friendly. Staying with a budget friendly theme...we grilled 3 out of 7 nights. Can't beat the view by staying in and saving some $$$. Our restaurant choices, (I know, not the best) included La Paz for mexican. Hubby loves their fish tacos. Service not so good. Pompano Joe's twice - kids loved it. Loved the reggae rolls and taco salad. Kenny D's - very very good. Good fish tacos, and so relaxing! Not loud and you don't feel hurried to leave. We went to Wal-Mart to get our tire fixed, they couldn't, so they referred us to the Goodyear place in Miramar Beach. They were great, and fixed us right up at 7:00am in the morning. We were out at the beach by 9:00! We are complete beach bums, so we did a lot of sand and body boarding. My 6 yr.old got stung by a jelly - he was kind of proud in his own strange way...we saw lots of jellies, but it didn't keep us out of the water. Beach was not crowded, however, it was more so than in years past. Weather was absolutely fantastic...came home with a nice tan! Other things we did...went to Destin Commons and walked around, kids loved it. Got ice cream, went to the harbor and watched them weigh the fish. All pretty inexpensive/free things to do to keep the family happy. I'm looking forward to next year. Thanks to you all for all the great advice!

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
545 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 10/3-10/10

Sounds like a perfect and relaxing trip once you got past the flat tire! Thanks for the TR, wish I was there right now!

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,463 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 10/3-10/10

I'm going to try Kenny D's on my next trip. Thanks for the info and the trip report.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,503 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 10/3-10/10

We went to Kenny D's a couple of days ago. Kind of a dive, which I usually like. We got the shrimp poboys. I ordered mine with no lettuce or tomato. It came loaded with both. My son and I were eating away. I noticed my hubby was not eating much, kind of picking. I asked him if he liked it. He said it was ok. I knew the tea was really watery but other than my order wrong, it was ok. Not until we got outside did my hubby tell me there was an extremely long hair on his plate. He won't ever send stuff back because he thinks someone will spit in his food. He didn't want to make a big scene. I don't think we will go back. Between the order wrong (she discussed the sauce with me so I know she heard me), the watery tea and the hair, we are done.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,463 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 10/3-10/10

I'm so glad you posted another point of view.....

Maybe I'll stick with my favorites and skip Kenny D's.

Missouri
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
1,865 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 10/3-10/10

Thanks for the TR! Ive never been to Kenny D's, maybe thats a good thing? We have 11 days to wait till paradise!

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
1,182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 10/3-10/10

anticipating some of miss gracie;s excellent oyster chowder here now what witht he early frost here this morning. we love kenny d's!!!!!!!!

Colmar, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 10/3-10/10

I do happen to like Kenny D's and usually include at least one lunch per visit to Destin. In their defense (or any restaurant), even with precautions taken, a hair or something else can rarely show up where it's not suppose to. If you notice it right away, such as the sauce, ask the server to resolve it. If it's not noticed until later, consider just dealing with it.

Haven't ordered their tea so I don't know what strength to expect. Someone above described it as a "dive". As mentioned, that's not a bad thing. But the reality is, if you get the same level of service at a dive that you usually get at a four star restaurant, then say "thank you" and leave a generous tip.

Stepping down, now.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,503 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report 10/3-10/10

John, he did deal with it. He did not make a big deal. However since she got my order wrong - again, no fuss, just scraped it off in addition to the hair I think we have the right to post our experience on here. I realize that a hair may end up in food, but if you are a professional establishment, according to heath regulations, you probably should have a hair net in order to prevent such things. I just hope it was not off our waitress. She looked as if she had not had a shower in a while (and this was at lunch time). Extremely greasy hair which made the whole experience even more disgusting. If you want to go, merry christmas to you. We won't go back, there are too many good restaurants in the area in which to spend our money. There were mixed reviews so obviously we are not the only ones with bad experiences here.

Hernando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,276 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report 10/3-10/10

Agree with SSS. We've only visited Kenny Ds once, which was plenty.

Colmar, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report 10/3-10/10

Sorry that was taken the wrong way. It wasn't aimed at the originator of the post, but you had no way of knowing that. It really was just a rant, thrown out in general, and by all means, just my opinion.