We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Destin coming...lots of help needed!

Memphis
Level Contributor
111 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Destin coming...lots of help needed!

My bofriend and I are planning to visit Destin near the end of May or June. We need help in locating the perfect hotel or area. Here's some of the things we are looking for:

~We want to be walking distance from the beach

~We want to be walking distance from a strip with lots of restaurants, happy hours, etc. something that resembles Ocean Drive in South Beach

~ We're not sure if we are going to rent a car but do hotels by the beach charge an arm and a leg for parking??

~We are not looking for a quiet getaway...we want to be near all the action

~we would love to name our own price on an area using priceline but not sure which area to look at!

We have never been to Destin so we are clueless, please help!!!

Colmar, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,778 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Destin coming...lots of help needed!

You might want to look at Emerald Grande in the harbor area. Being in that area, they don't directly access the beach, but they ferry over to the beach on the opposite side of the harbor. This location will satisfy your second want. I believe Emerald Grande was offering free or reasonable parking last year, check on current status, but you shoud have a car to get around the area. I would not hold my breath on the priceline thing, but then I am not that familiar.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
258 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Destin coming...lots of help needed!

Another option is to look at the Ariel Dunes complex in the Seascape resort in Miramar Beach, about ten minutes from downtown Destin...you are within a block of the beach, it is a very busy area, there are several restaurnats in that area within walking distance (Theos' Whales Tail, Cabana Cafe, Pompano Joes, etc.)

georgia
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Destin coming...lots of help needed!

Check out Sandestin. It's a resort with several types of accomodations. One section is beach the other side is bayside. There is a section called Baytowne Wharf that has several nightspots, restaurants and shopping. Often the water amenities are included. Also there is a trolley between areas so parking is optional.

Regardless of where in Destin you land all is picture perfect.

mississippi
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Destin coming...lots of help needed!

Chances are you won't be able to find anything from something like Priceline. Keep in mind that Destin is family-oriented, so it's not going to be a big party spot like South Beach.

Panhandle
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Destin coming...lots of help needed!

I would recommend anything on the harbor, since it is closer to nightlife. I believe The Inn on Destin Harbor is the only hotel with all other accommodations being condos, VRBO is a good place to check for condo rentals. Nighttown is one of the local clubs and have been doing $20/all you can drink Fridays and Saturdays. AJ's is a good choice for live local music. Another spot worth checking out would be scoreboard, a short ways down from the harbor

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,238 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Destin coming...lots of help needed!

Destin really is more family, casually oriented in many ways. There are night spots, blues and jazz, outdoor casual/island type places, Emerald Grande at the Harborwalk area I think would be the better suggestion, IMHO. Its not necessarily a quiet getaway, but I'd say it's closer to that, than where all the action is. Most people stay at condos and there's no fee for parking there. We regulars love the area, you can find plenty to do, but keep asking to see if this is what you're looking for. FYI, I'd never to Panama City, because of the atmosphere, that's why we go to Destin.

MississippiDelta
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Destin coming...lots of help needed!

Hilton Sandestin.. I think its what your looking for, on the beach, tiki bar, pool, shuttle to baytowne! Baytowne has nitelife for anyone!

GA
Level Contributor
469 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to Destin coming...lots of help needed!

I agree. You guys sure are traveling allot for people on a budget. ;)

destin florida
Level Contributor
525 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to Destin coming...lots of help needed!

The original post is from this past April. I assume the trip has already occured ?

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip to Destin coming...lots of help needed!

I thought the trip must be over also but they were asking about a condo in Panama City a few days ago.