We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oil alternative

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Oil alternative

I've never been to Florida's beaches but will be there in about a week. I know there is quite a bit to do besides the beach - haven't researched too much yet but will before I get there-we're going to Sundestin.

I'm taking my wife and 3 girls. We obviously would like to play in the water but if we can't, will we still be able to hang out at the beach or do they shut the whole thing down? For example, can we get far enough away from the water and washed up tar just to make sand castles or look for crabs at night or walk along the beach at night?

Secondly, I know that we might be able to find a clean place within a few minutes drive but where might that place be and how can I find out if it is all clear? I realize things could change a lot by the time I get there but you gotta start somewhere.

1. Re: Oil alternative

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 June 2010, 14:35
Oklahoma
Level Contributor
160 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Oil alternative

completely rude... Chief.

Newington, CT
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oil alternative

WOW, I've gotta tell ya, I typically go on the Panama City Beach forum considering the fact that we're set to make our 1st trip there in August.

But, from time to time, I also browse the other FL Panhandle forums.

And, I must say, The Destin forum has a totally diff. vibe than the others.

Nasty, rude comments, etc.

Not everyone but a select few....

I mean really, I saw nothing wrong with the OP's post/questions...

Some people, clearly, just have a bug up their a**

Lighten up people!

Naomi :-)

Mentioned in this post
Panama City Beach
Panama City Beach
Florida Panhandle, FL
Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,884 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oil alternative

The tar balls IF they are around are right at the waterline - the rest of the beach is still beautiful with lots of people playing and building sandcastles and lounging

Poplar Bluff...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Oil alternative

Here is a link to some of the public access points buzzbuzz. I have no idea how to tell if they have been affected by the oil but it's a start. www.cityofdestin.com/index.php…

I was lucky enough to enjoy the beaches last week but now here I sit back at work doing the daily grind thing so I guess I should consider myself one of the lucky ones that didn't have to deal with it. Hopefully the problems will be quickly fixed and things can return to semi-normal and everyone can enjoy themselves. Been back home 4 days and I can say I already miss Destin and I can't wait until the next vacation and my rear end will be planted back in the sand!!!!

Good luck to everyone and especially the city of Destin and surrounding area!!!!

Louisiana
Level Contributor
297 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oil alternative

It's very hot in Florida this time of year. Hanging out at the beach is very difficult if you can't get in the water to cool off.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Oil alternative

Thank you all for everyone here that has contributed to help make my vacation for my family a great one. Your advice has been terrific and really help out a 'foreigner' to FL to see the best way to navigate the trip planning waters.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
304 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oil alternative

I have never been really hot on the beach in Destin. We bring the large beach umbrellas and our own chairs. There is always a breeze and the sand is cool. Believe me I sweat easily. Going in the water is the best but if you bring an extra umbrella for the kids to sit under an build sand castles they'll be fine.

North Richland...
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oil alternative

buzzbuzz, I have not been to Destin and we have had to cancel our trip but a friend is there now. From what I have researched there is a lot to do outside of the beach. Someone on the forum posted last week about the Blue Angels practicing on Tues and Wed mornings at 8:30am in Pensacola. My friends went to see that and said it was great. There is also a free museum there and a Imax show "Fighter Pilot" that is supposed to be good. One of the other things we were going to do was go to Fudpuckers to see the alligators. I have heard the food is not that good there but you can go to the Gator beach for free to see the alligators. http://www.fudpuckers.com/destin.htm

Hope this information helps your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Pensacola
Pensacola
Florida Panhandle, FL
Louisiana
Level Contributor
297 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oil alternative

Deemack - You're right. If you're under an umbrella it is cool enough to stay on the beach.