We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental rate reductions

Memphis
2 posts
Save Topic
Rental rate reductions

Just wondering, for those of you who made your reservations months ago and are still planning on going to Destin, are you going to attempt to receive reduced rates? I'm a little unsure on how to approach this. Certainly, the hotels, condo's etc. are hurting for business and their plans, I would imagine, are to recoup these losses from BP. If we are still paying the full seasonal price for the condo but are still taking a chance of encountering oil on our visit shouldn't we be rewarded by a reduction in rental price? If this was not a man made disaster and there wasn't the promise of compensation to theses business for their loss of income I would feel differently. But if the condo's are not reducing the rates for their 'dedicated' customers and on top of that receiving comps from BP I take issue with that. What is everyone else doing in this situation?

Mentioned in this post
Destin
Destin
Florida Panhandle, FL
Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,882 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental rate reductions

You do not receive compensation for BP on top of the normal rental rate. You have to furnish BP Claims with about a million things including all your financial and tax records since Jan 2007 plus the current records. I understand your viewpoint but some owners down here are just trying to hang on and pay the bills and hopefully keep their property. Not all owners are rich contrary to popular belief. June and July are our biggest months for the year and this year they are basically shot. I just visited the Claims Center earlier today and they have a Walton County Sheriff posted at the door "just in case".

Kansas City
Level Contributor
237 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental rate reductions

Although it is frustrating to know you may be paying more than others it is the same with everything else you buy, ie airline tickets, concert tickets, etc.

Different situations drive the market and you pay the price that is in effect at the time you are ready to make your agreement. Those that wait stand a chance of getting a bargain or not getting anything at all because they waited too long. Owners should not have to adjust their prices for everyone in order to move last minute openings, any more than they have the right to raise the price you agreed to months ago because there is suddenly higher demand. The rental agreement protects both sides.

While you could certainly ask about a discount ,the lodging company's only obligation is to honor the contract you agreed to at the time of booking. If it says you can cancel for a certain fee, you can do so and only after paying the fee, look around and try to book a better rate.

So far it looks like tar balls are sporadic, so odds are good you can go ahead with your vacation and still have a wonderful time.

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
18 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental rate reductions

A friend of mine got 50% off when they called to cancel. First I would call around other comparable places and see what you can get. Then I would call where you booked and see if you can get some similar deal. I certainly would not pay full price. There are too many deals out there right now...

Scottsdale
Level Contributor
167 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental rate reductions

I can certainly understand any consumers wishes to save money, but ask yourself this - if you had booked accommodations at a rate of, say $2000.00 for a week and then later saw that the rate for an identical unit had now risen to $2,500.00, would you call the property owner and let them know to charge you for the market driven increase? If the answer to that is yes, then by all means, please call your property owner and ask for a reduced rate. Otherwise, accept the rate you agreed to, or cancel, according to the policies you agreed to.

Newington, CT
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental rate reductions

We've had our condo in PCB booked/paid for for a year+

The unit owner has been wonderful. Offering to waive the cancellation policy should we decide to cancel (even at the last minute). She even went as far to say that, should we be down there and they have to close the beaches, and we decide to leave early (we wouldn't) she'd refund us for any unused days.

Typically, I have NO problem speaking up, but, in this case, I wouldn't have the ba**s to 'expect' a rent reduction.

Naomi :-)

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,444 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental rate reductions

"Amen" to 3 of these 4 replies....

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,444 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental rate reductions

Oops! 4 of these 5 replies...

oklahoma
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental rate reductions

Thinkin', right there with you!

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
1,239 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental rate reductions

My rental owner is being smart. She is telling me that for every day I can't go on the beach it is $200 off. Also, if I just decide to cancel now she will refund my deposit, less $25. I have a July 31 - Aug 6 res.

This is what I call customer service, as a result I am hanging on until the bitter end with this extremely nice lady and good businesswoman.

If worse comes to worse, guess who I call first next year?

Newington, CT
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental rate reductions

same here Chief :-)