We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to rent a condo?

texas
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
how to rent a condo?

The choices are overwelming!!! Are there reputable real eatate agencies that will do some of the legwork?

I'm looking for a newer condo, decent size balcony and ocean front in Destin.

Mentioned in this post
Destin
Destin
Florida Panhandle, FL
Clemson, SC
Level Contributor
115 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how to rent a condo?

I can only post personal experience but here it goes. I visited 2 years ago and rented through VRBO, lots of people rent through VRBO and recommend it. I believe VRBO is a great way to save some money and most all owners are honest people. My VRBO experience was horrible, bait and switch, smoked in unit that was supposed to be non smoking etc. We ended up placing a stop payment on the check and not using the unit.

With that, I am not sure I would use vrbo again unless it was a unit recommended by someone to me. Again personal experience only.

We almost ended up having to go home as most everything was booked that week bu we somehow wandered into Destin Beach Realty and ended up with a nice condo. the staff was super to work with and much to my amazement when I called back to check rates this year the girl remembered me from the year before. You may want to check with them.

I met a guest at our condo that rented through Dale Peterson real estate, I have no experience with that company but they were well pleased stating that they have rented from them for years.

Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Destin
Destin
Florida Panhandle, FL
Clemson, SC
Level Contributor
115 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how to rent a condo?

I forgot to add, we stayed at mediterranea and I think it would meet your requirements.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
237 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: how to rent a condo?

I have always found ResortQuest and Newman Dailey to be very helpful. Give them a call and let them know what you are looking for and they will usually be happy to make suggestions. Let them know that you are unfamiliar with the area so that they can help you sort things out.

When you are quoted a price be sure that you are advised of any added costs, such as taxes, cleaning fees and resort fees. Ask if there are any added amenities, such as free beach chair set up (this can cost around 20.00 per day for 2 chairs and an unbrella if not included)

Also have them clearly define their cancellation fees before you book..

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
738 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: how to rent a condo?

I like 360 Blue. http://360blueproperties.com/ They manage many of the Villa Coyaba condos which are very nice if you need four bedrooms.

mandeville, la
Level Contributor
282 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how to rent a condo?

Southern Resorts always seems to give me the best price. I have used Dale Peterson, Newman-Daily and ResortQuest also. VRBO will certainly give you a better price, but just do some research. Destin has much nicer places to stay than any beach areas along the Atlantic Coast FYI.

Mentioned in this post
Destin
Destin
Florida Panhandle, FL
Destin
Level Contributor
297 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: how to rent a condo?

I would not hesitate to book through VRBO and have done so many times in the past with success. Economics preclude me from considering booking with an agency in this day and age, now that there are so many choices available with VRBO. It may have been a reasonable thing to book with an agency in the past before we became an informed society with the internet now widely available. People can have a bad experience regardless of the method of booking-- through VRBO or a real estate agency. The only difference is that you will more than likely pay 20% OR MORE for the SAME condo through an agency. Just my 2 cents :)

State College...
Level Contributor
121 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how to rent a condo?

We rented a condo at Beach Retreat through Newman Dailey for our snowbird rental last winter, and they were excellent. We have also had three good experiences using VRBO. When we bought our condo in Ft. Walton Beach in June we listed it on VRBO and manage the rentals ourselves, since the agencies charge up to 30% in management fees. We live 1,111 miles away from our condo, but with a good cleaning team and a handyman on call, it works for us.

Mentioned in this post
Fort Walton Beach
Fort Walton Beach
Florida Panhandle, FL
Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: how to rent a condo?

We have rented through Dale Peterson for many years and have always been pleased. We have also stayed at Mediterranea and love it. It is our favorite condo. The website is www.destinresorts.com.

Edited: 09 August 2010, 03:10
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how to rent a condo?

I second what other's have noted. We have gone to Destin for over 10 years and we've rented from Dale Peterson, Newman Dailey and Abec resorts (they rent Silver Beach Towers which is our favorite condo). You couldn't go wrong with either of those companies, I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Mentioned in this post
Destin
Destin
Florida Panhandle, FL
10. Re: how to rent a condo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2011, 07:21