We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June Grass in Destin

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
14 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
June Grass in Destin

What can we typically expect as far as June Grass affecting the water and our vacation the first two weeks of June? We were in Destin three years ago the second week of July and it basically put a downer on the beach experience. Thanks in advance for any insights.

Santa Rosa Beach...
Level Contributor
618 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June Grass in Destin

It's like predicting when its gonna rain on your vacation

All bout wind currents tides

Juneau AK
Level Contributor
615 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June Grass in Destin

I 've been going in the first two weeks of June for about the past 12 years, and I have never been significantly affected by "June" grass. If it is there, just move down the beach a mile or two and you will probably escape it. If present, it is often very localized. As already stated, it is totally unpredictable, although I think it does tend to occur more in July than June.

ST LOUIS
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June Grass in Destin

It is June 13, 2011 - yesterday the water was clear and today my family and I have learned what June Grass is. Stinky, sticky green icky icky goo that really puts a damper on the beach vacation. Unrelated but comical, some kid dropped one in the pool so we had to retreat to the room altogether. we are staying in Sandestin and the people are retreating from the beach. Not sure why I have not heard about this before, but it is not fun. Not sure this kind of trip is worth the risk after reading about others experiences. How long does it last? Is there public access to unaffected beaches?

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,505 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June Grass in Destin

Unfortunately I noticed that the beach by Pompanos is getting some june grass in also. The good thing is that june grass doesn't hurt or sting and it washes away. Hopefully someone else will report in with another beach that is clear you can go and visit. No idea how long it will last - if the winds change tonight it could totally clear out.

Conway, Arkansas
Level Contributor
774 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: June Grass in Destin

I hope it's gone by the last week in June. Last year, our first day, the water was as clear as I've ever seen it; by second day the June grass was all over the place. So.....it really can change quickly. The day we left, the water was beautifully clear once again. i would never cancel because of it though. Like you said, it doesn't harm you; a little gross if it is heavy, but sometimes you can swim out of it. That Is one of the reasons a good pool is important to us, though.

Friendswood, Texas
Level Contributor
596 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: June Grass in Destin

We went last summer in July and it was in front of the Islander and alot of it, it doesn't itch or sting. We took paddleboard lessons and I fell in a bunch of it in deep water didn't bother me at all its just icky shook it off lol. In Aug 2008 we went for our first time and no june grass and the water clarity was prettier than last year after the oil spill. However, there were jellies in evening tons of them and more at that time during the day than last yr so you just never know what the ocean will have.

Missouri
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: June Grass in Destin

Last June the June grass was awful. It was so bad one day that it looked like more grass than water! Also it washed up on the shore and was lime green in color and almost looked like carpet. It only lasted a few days and then it was spotty. One year we were there in June and there was no yucky grass anywhere. I think the oil last year had something to do with making it worse. The june grass was alot worse than the oil.

mississippi
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: June Grass in Destin

Here's hoping it's clear the week of the Fourth of July!

Johnson City...
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: June Grass in Destin

The June grass was really bad today at Henderson Beach State Park. You had to swim thru it to get to the clear water. We have experienced lots of some kind of jellies and June grass this trip ! But we still love Destin !!!

NC
Level Contributor
375 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: June Grass in Destin

Oh no it sounds like its back just like last year. Was hoping to avoid the green icky stuff. Is it passing through today I hope or accumulating on the shore like last year.