We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How early do you book that "Secret/Perfect" spot?

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
dallas
Level Contributor
90 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How early do you book that "Secret/Perfect" spot?

Just got back from a great trip in the Sandestin/30-A area for the first time. More than anything, I liked being able to have a grasp for the entire area especially on 30-A.

My question is for regulars who visit for vacation. Who soon in advance do you book that FAVORITE condo/house/apartment, etc? 9 months, 6 months, 3 months? I know a lot of it depends on time of year but I was curious more for summer.

Thanks

Mn
Level Contributor
430 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How early do you book that "Secret/Perfect" spot?

One tip from experience this year:don't write a glowing review until AFTER you book...If it's a great place and you know you'll be back, don't be afraid to book asap.

2. Re: How early do you book that "Secret/Perfect" spot?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 July 2011, 13:35
dallas
Level Contributor
90 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How early do you book that "Secret/Perfect" spot?

Thanks.

Edited: 18 July 2011, 15:27
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How early do you book that "Secret/Perfect" spot?

We usually book in March for August visit.

Colmar, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,771 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How early do you book that "Secret/Perfect" spot?

Most calendars go at least a year in advance. Use the advance bookings as your guide. High season will book quicker than low season. Different destinations fill up at different rates, etc.

Also, I've found that a unit that has been listed for awhile, but doesn't get bookings, to me, is at least a yellow flag. Then I start going elsewhere for reviews to see if I can find out why.

I know, I've gotten rather chatty beyond my first two sentences, which really answered your question.

Edited: 18 July 2011, 18:34
Tennessee
Level Contributor
930 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How early do you book that "Secret/Perfect" spot?

A year in advance.

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
711 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How early do you book that "Secret/Perfect" spot?

Book as soon as you know your dates and where you want to stay. A year in advance you should be able to get most places but the big fabulous gulf front houses are sometimes rented more than a year in advance.

Conway, Arkansas
Level Contributor
774 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: How early do you book that "Secret/Perfect" spot?

The past two years I've booked about one month ahead; I got really good rates doing so, as well as good condos, and great experiences with owners. This can be risky, however. I relied on last minute cancellations which usually do occur; there are so many properties out there, would be hard to imagine no cancellations/reschedules.

mandeville, la
Level Contributor
253 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How early do you book that "Secret/Perfect" spot?

I always find a great great place at almost the last minute (4-6 weeks prior) for a really good price, but it takes a lot of research!! Best deals included Silver Shells and a house in Destiny-by-the-Sea. Cannot believe the deals I got!!

However, if price isn't really a concern, it's best to book months in advance to ensure you get what you want. Most go very fast.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,095 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How early do you book that "Secret/Perfect" spot?

We use the same owners every year, and even then I give them a rough estimate (within a couple of days) at least 4 months in advance. I used to do it nearly 7 months in advance.

We go in April and I feel I owe it to them to have a set date in case we can't make it. I firm it up and we work out the agreement about 2 months in advance, but they know by now that we'll be back about the same time every year and kind of hold it for us. I wouldn't count on that anywhere else, though.