We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

destin for christmas or further south

J C
Cincinnati, Ohio
6 posts
Save Topic
destin for christmas or further south

We like to lay out at the beach while the kids go back and forth from pool to beach (they're older). Thinking about Destin this Christmas? Should we head further south, maybe Anna Maria.

Santa Rosa Beach...
Level Contributor
624 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: destin for christmas or further south

Definitely head farther south. Destin is too cool at Christmas for a beach vacation, especially if you want to swim and lay in the sun. It's fine for activities like playing golf, going on beach walks, etc., but that does not sound like what you want.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
439 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: destin for christmas or further south

Ditto. Further south at that time of the year for swimming and laying out weather. I have been in Destin in December wearing a winter coat.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
221 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: destin for christmas or further south

Don't mean to hijack thread, but is november any warmer or too cold that time of year as well?

Edited: 06 September 2011, 20:36
Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,713 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: destin for christmas or further south

November is unpredictable. We've snorkeled in November and had fires in the fireplace in November.

Santa Rosa Beach...
Level Contributor
624 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: destin for christmas or further south

November is a lot warmer, especially at the earlier part of the month. Even later in Nov. I've been to Destin several times around Thanksgiving and had some fairly decent beach days. However, there is always a chance that time of year that you may be affected by a cold front for a couple of days.

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,681 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: destin for christmas or further south

We usually have Thanksgiving dinner on the balcony - but there have been a few Thanksgivings I wished we had a fireplace.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
221 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: destin for christmas or further south

Double darn, I want sun & warmth + beach days, how far should I head down south that is beautiful? ... I want to condo it prior to Thanksgiving thru early December.

Ashland City...
Level Contributor
126 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: destin for christmas or further south

Here's a list of average highs and lows in December in various Florida cities: …about.com/od/allaboutflorida/a/december.htm

Here's a list of water temps: currentresults.com/Oceans/Temperature/florid…

It looks like you'll want to go all the way south, unfortunately. I've personally been in the Keys in January, and air temps were great for going to the beach, and the water was refreshingly cool for swimming.

Opp, Alabama
Level Contributor
568 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: destin for christmas or further south

It *could* be great, or it *could* be cold. I live less than 2 hours from Destin but we choose Tampa for Christmas. Much more reliable warmth there, but nothing is certain regarding the weather!

10. Re: destin for christmas or further south

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 20:16