We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overwhelmed, need help finding a place to stay.

Tishomingo, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
159 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Overwhelmed, need help finding a place to stay.

We are in the early planning stages of a family vacation next spring/summer. Family of four (2 + 4 y.o. boys). We want a place on the beach that has really nice pools. By that I mean, large, freeform types with things like waterfalls, little kids slide, zero entry, etc. Before the kids, we loved going to Hawaii but it has become too expensive but our favorite resorts were those like Hilton Hawaiian Village or Hyatt Maui. Anyways, any help would be appreciated. I can't seem to find many hotels/resorts and there is an overwhelming amount of condos. Not even sure if I should stay in Fort Walton or Destin. Thanks in advance!

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,315 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overwhelmed, need help finding a place to stay.

Okay, am just guessing, but I don't think anything will compare to the pools and grounds and tropical landscaping that you have seen at Hawaii.

Remember:

1. Destin is not 'tropical'. You will see some planted Palmettos, but that is about it. It freezes as far south as the Panhandle every winter.

2. Also, the draw here is the beach, and even the nicest pools are what I would consider 'basic'. That Panhandle white sand and gorgeous water are wonderful!

I have never stayed here before, but for the type of resort pool areas that you are looking for, you might want to check out Destin West. Pull them up here and look at all the traveler reviews and photographs.

Happy Planning!

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,315 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overwhelmed, need help finding a place to stay.

PS: Yes, most accommodations at Destin are condo-resorts, not hotels. This can cost a little more, but with any kids... : )

And, yes, I would highly recommend Destin and the immediate Destin area. SO much to offer!

Edited: 25 October 2011, 23:37
Woodbury, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,140 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overwhelmed, need help finding a place to stay.

Check out Waterscape and Destin West in Fort Walton Beach. You get lazy rivers and the gorgeous beach.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
147 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overwhelmed, need help finding a place to stay.

You may want to try Hilton SanDestin. But to spend all your time at the pool, it just a wasted trip.

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,315 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overwhelmed, need help finding a place to stay.

Waterscape looks like it might be nicer than Destin West!

Not sure what the price difference might be.

I hadn't looked at Waterscape, as we usually use our timeshare exchange on the other side of Destin.

We have stayed at Sandestin, and we like it there.

It is one HUGE resort/vacation community.

However, you won't find the type of pools, lazy rivers, waterfalls, etc... if that is what one is hoping for with kids.

Tishomingo, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
159 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overwhelmed, need help finding a place to stay.

Thanks everyone. Waterscapes looks really nice, a little pricey though! Both look like very good options.

Carrollton, GA
Level Contributor
584 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overwhelmed, need help finding a place to stay.

Our family stayed at the Adagio Condo resort in Blue Mountain Beach (Beaches of South Walton) a few summers ago. Check out their website www.adagiocondos.com. Also, check VRBO for private owner condos at this resort. John

8. Re: Overwhelmed, need help finding a place to stay.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2012, 06:18