We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fav stops/side trips for WI,MI,IL drives to Destin?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,204 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Fav stops/side trips for WI,MI,IL drives to Destin?

I believe this will be our 20th year driving from WI to Destin in spring and I'm wondering if there are other places for us to explore along the way. We've done both short visits along the way and also expanding our vacation time to take mini-vacations along the way.

We've enjoyed the Children's Museum in Indianapolis, Makers Mark and Jack Daniels tours in KY and TN. Nashville's got the Hermitage and Civil War battlefields. Mammoth Cave in KY is fascinating. Chattanooga's got Lookout Mountain and the Aquarium. Atlanta's got all kinds of places.

We've also gone out of our way and added Hilton Head, Savannah and St. Augustine trips onto our 10 days in Destin. Hey, when you're in the Frozen North, anything south is of KY is fair game for a side trip.

Any more suggestions?

Mn
Level Contributor
439 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fav stops/side trips for WI,MI,IL drives to Destin?

Hey FTG-

Sorry about your loss...

One place I've always wanted to make a side trip to on our way down is New Orleans. We are just in such a hurry though. I'm sure we miss alot. Alas, last year we drove from Mpls to Birmingham in a day...

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,204 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fav stops/side trips for WI,MI,IL drives to Destin?

Yeah, yeah, MN, quit trying to rub it in!! Anyway, no-way do I like that long of a drive. Yes, NO is definitely worth a side trip, we used to go there when I was a kid and we vacationed at Biloxi.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,463 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fav stops/side trips for WI,MI,IL drives to Destin?

Last year instead of going through Niceville and across the MidBay bridge we went to Pennsacola and drove along the coast and national seashore route.

It was a beautiful drive.

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fav stops/side trips for WI,MI,IL drives to Destin?

Hi Frozen. Fancy meeting you here. I have to agree with New Orleans. We also take different routes down each year and enjoyed staying in New Orleans, then driving along the coast to the panhandle. Too bad we weren't in the panhandle at the same time.

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,634 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fav stops/side trips for WI,MI,IL drives to Destin?

We have stopped in Bowling Green KY for the Corvette Museum and tour of the Corvette Plant. For the Corvette plant it is advised you order tickets in advance.

Also the USS Alabama in Mobile is a nice tour.

Nashville is a fun stop with lots to do in the area as well.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,204 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fav stops/side trips for WI,MI,IL drives to Destin?

Hello again Northernite, are you in FL now? You're missing some mighty cold weather back up here. I'm still planning that side trip or special things along the way. Someone on our Michigan site had suggested detouring further east and checking out New River Gorge in West Virginia. It looks like a beautiful area. If we decide to not go that far out of the way, I'm still open to other suggestions.

I've been to New Orleans a number of times so that's not on the list again. Pensacola's a nice little stop, haven't hit the museum yet, but have done Fort Pickens and the historic old area. When we pick our daughter up at the airport we always drive along Navarre, it's so beautiful. When you head south you can either head west or east to pick up some of these extra stops. We enjoyed Berea, KY, pretty little community with a fascinating history (N, I dreamed we were there last night). Eufala, AL near the GA/AL border has got some gorgeous antebellum homes too.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
439 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fav stops/side trips for WI,MI,IL drives to Destin?

Have you done the Space & Rocket Museum in Huntsville? it's not too far off the interstate before you get to Birmingham.

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fav stops/side trips for WI,MI,IL drives to Destin?

FT. Yes we are in Florida. Started at Fort Myers, now Anna Maria and will end up in Indian Shores. We've stopped in Louisville and Nashville too. We've also stopped in Americus, GA and stayed at the Windsor, toured Plains GA and also Thomasville, GA which has a neat downtown. So many places to choose from.

kentucky
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fav stops/side trips for WI,MI,IL drives to Destin?

Nashville has been mentioned but a stay at Gaylord Opryland hotel is great.Lots to see in Nashville,the Hemitage,the Parthanon,grand old opry.A meal at the famous Loveless Cafe is definitely worth the drive for us.Not sure of your direction back home but we try to always stop at Priestlers ,great reststop with free samples of their candy pretty good food and home mAde ice cream.Great rocking chairs on the front porch too.right on I-65 not far from Montgomery.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,515 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fav stops/side trips for WI,MI,IL drives to Destin?

Have friends who live in Illinois and they have taken a side trip that included stops in Memphis to see Graceland and eat some good BBQ, Tupelo to see Elvis boyhood home, Oxford which is home to Ole Miss and William Faulkner, then down thru Jackson and on to Hattiesburg and then along US 90/I 10 along the Gulf coast thru Mobile and on to Destin. Lots of affordable hotels and great places to eat along this route.

We've also done the route just to see some of the area- if wanting to see New Orleans then could do Memphis, Vicksburg, Natchez and down to New Orleans- great places to stop, nice hotels and lots of great places to eat.