We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

seaweed

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Beulah, Texas...
2 posts
Save Topic
seaweed

Just wondering when the best time to go to Destin Beach....Last time I was there it was covered with seaweed or Junegrass...can anyone tell me what part of the summer that stuff is worse than others....

Destin
Level Contributor
297 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: seaweed

Best times in Destin are now until mid May (although even better mid April - mid May) and mid Sept - mid October (best month of entire year). Best rates are after first week August until mid March, and 2nd best rates are mid April - mid May.

Beulah, Texas...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: seaweed

Thanks for the reply... So I guess there's gonna b a big chance of us running into the June grass in first of July...hopefully it won't be as bad as it was last time we was there...

Indiana
Level Contributor
936 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: seaweed

I was wondering why people go to Florida during the hottest and most humid part of the year. Seems you would be heading north then. We always go early spring and late fall. Weather is great then.

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,503 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: seaweed

Destin is a family place - and family vacations rely on school schedules. This weekend the weather has been great Definitely beach weather.

Ohio
Level Contributor
649 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: seaweed

Yes - can't yank kids out of school for 2 weeks, in the middle of a school year. Hence, family vacations. Believe me, once we retire, we'll be avoiding the summer months!

Honestly though, Cincinnati, last year, was worse than Florida (hot-wise).

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
193 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: seaweed

I would not EXPECT to see june grass, just because you are going in July. We've been to Destin plenty of times June/July, and we've had plenty of trips with limited or no june grass.

mississippi
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: seaweed

We had the worst time ever last year, first week of July, with June grass. It was miserable to try and swim in it. Never had a problem in June, however.

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,503 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: seaweed

June Grass is just the term used - it can appear anytime during the warmer months. It can stick around for a while or it can be here one day and gone the next it just depends on the winds. Trying to predict it is like trying to predict whether it will rain on a certain day two months from now.

Indiana
Level Contributor
936 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: seaweed

We always took are daughter with us when school was in session. We only went for a week at a time and the teachers would give her the lessons and homework assignments in advance and she would do them in the evenings. She never had a problem with her grades or fell behind.

Slinger, WI
Level Contributor
189 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: seaweed

Eville-I think you meant to reply to a different post.