We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I did IT!!! Vacation on a budget

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
147 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
I did IT!!! Vacation on a budget

We have the same story as most; money is tight and only seems to being getting tighter. However, the kids are getting bigger and life is too short. So I was determined to plan a vacation and keep us budget.

First I found us a condo. I was not willing to stay just anywhere. I was able to get in to one of the Spring Specials at the pink condo on Holiday Isle for $456.00. (Not sure if I can say the name.) But I booked a one bedroom unit and with their 4 night special, saved $232.07. My husband was a little skeptical but it worked out great. The bedroom and living room were separate so we could watch our movie and they could watch theirs. (Movies at the Red Box are only $1.30)

We went to the grocery store. Now on a normal day at home I am no gourmet chef, so I definitely went the easy route on vacation as well. Kids had cereal and milk in the morning, sandwiches for lunch, and something simple for dinner. I can stomach paying $3 dollars for a box of macaroni, as opposed to $6.50 kid’s meal version when I do not have to argue with them to get ready and out the door for dinner.

I spent $65.00 for groceries. I was able to get a shopper card for the grocery store up the street and I was able to save $10.00 on the groceries that I bought, and 50 cents towards a gas purchase. In addition, I was able to take that card to the sprits store and get $5 dollars off my “mommy drinks”.

There were two nights were I did not cook. Night Three we ran up the street to a chain pizza place and bought two $5 pizzas. And the last night, we went out for an early evening dinner at our favorite restaurant and spent $60.00.

All in all, our trip was a huge success. We stayed on budget. The kids played until the sun went down, and we actually came back totally relaxed because we were not rushing to get any where.

If I can do it, I know you can too!!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
439 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I did IT!!! Vacation on a budget

Sounds like a great trip! Kids aren't impressed with expensive restaurants and fancy condos and resorts. You've made great memories and that's all that matters :)

Slinger, WI
Level Contributor
189 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I did IT!!! Vacation on a budget

You're my hero! Food is always the biggest expense on our vacations as there are always such wonderful places to eat and the grocery stores are always so expensive. We try to bring a lot of "dry goods" from home and plan a menu so we aren't so tempted to eat out. At the end of the day, the kids don't remember what they ate, but all the time they spent playing on the beach! Besides, with all the money you saved, you can plan a repeat visit next year!

Tompkinsville...
Level Contributor
47 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I did IT!!! Vacation on a budget

Good for you! Which condo did you rent? We are always looking for a better deal. Smart moma.

texas
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I did IT!!! Vacation on a budget

Sounds wonderful. We are going to a condo in July, and since there will be 10 of us, and husband and I would pay for all meals, it would get really expensive. I plan to make a meal plan and bring everything from Texas, and just stop by store by condo for milk. I am on vacation, too, and want to relax on beach. Do not want to have to have everybody come on for day and get ready to go out for dinner. That does not sound fun. Easy meals where they can help cook and clean, and then drinks in evening on balcony, that sounds fun. Glad you made it work for you. vacation does not have to break a bank.

Kennesaw, Georgia
Level Contributor
645 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I did IT!!! Vacation on a budget

Great story . That sounds like a great time and everyone is right nobody remembers the $100 meals . Getting back to basics is not so bad after all .

I do believe the pink condo would be Jetty East . Great place to stay for families and they are doing a lot of improvements this year to make it even better . This will be our 12th year going

Hernando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,276 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I did IT!!! Vacation on a budget

Or Aegean.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
147 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I did IT!!! Vacation on a budget

It was Jetty East.

louisville, ky
Level Contributor
145 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I did IT!!! Vacation on a budget

what grocery did you use? I always have a hard time deciding which one is the best as far as price and quality...and less traffic.

Centralia, Missouri
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: I did IT!!! Vacation on a budget

Thanks for this post!!! You showed what is important on a vacation!!!

Kentucky
Level Contributor
528 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I did IT!!! Vacation on a budget

Great job!! This will be one of the vacations you and your children remember! Glad you enjoyed yourself!