We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what part of Destin best for beach?

Amesbury...
Level Contributor
171 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
what part of Destin best for beach?

We have never been to Destin, but it appears there are several sections of Destin and several beach areas. Is there one that is more desireable? Which is closest to the shopping centers?

I looked at VRBO but we need to narrow the area we are looking at first. Thanks for any help. This sight is usually fantastic for great responses.

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,794 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what part of Destin best for beach?

It is just a matter of personal preference. What time of the year you are visiting might be one criteria. Are you looking for laid-back .

Crystal Beach and Miramar Beach are closest to Destin Commons and Siver Sands Outlet Mall

Sandestin is a resort community

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,437 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what part of Destin best for beach?

Sent you a message...

If you have not, yet, check out googlemaps! : )

Amesbury...
Level Contributor
171 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what part of Destin best for beach?

thanks for the message; any best condo ideas if wife wants to be near outlet stores?

Amesbury...
Level Contributor
171 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what part of Destin best for beach?

It looks like we will go in April to miss any spring breakers. I read that Silver Shells is an Outlet but is it also a community for condos? We are looking for gulf front condo close to shopping, more upscale but not prohibitively expensive.

DeForest, WI
Level Contributor
54 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what part of Destin best for beach?

We rent from an owner (vrbo.com) who has a couple of condos at Mainsail . There are no high rise buildingt to the East of Bldg 3. So you can see for miles. It is gated and the last property on Old 98. You can walk to the Silver Sands Stores or to Winn Dixie. Great beach with chairs, two pools and grills. We'll be there in a couple of weeks for a couple of weeks.

Amesbury...
Level Contributor
171 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what part of Destin best for beach?

That sounds great. We are not into high rise condos.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
86 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what part of Destin best for beach?

If you are not into the high-rise condo, you might want to check out Sea Oats Motel. We have been there many times and will be there this Wednesday. I think it is #10 in TA hotels, last time I checked.

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,794 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what part of Destin best for beach?

Silver Sands is the outlet mall - Silver Shells is a condo complex.

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,437 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what part of Destin best for beach?

Yep, I had thought about Silver Shells, but that is def. a big highrise resort. Maybe some experts will recommend some smaller complexes in the area.

Do you mind being across the two-lane drive from the beach.

Edited: 02 April 2012, 23:16
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,336 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what part of Destin best for beach?

Destin has a huge assortment of condos and as much as I love spending lots of time at Silver Sands shopping, I wouldn't pick a condo based on its nearness to it. It's located pretty much in the middle of things, not 20 miles out of town if that's the concern.

I'd say focus on things like cost, size of the unit, on the beach or across the road (which is cheaper), high-rise or 2-3 story or townhouse. The beach itself is gorgeous for miles and miles, some parts will be more crowded. Those with high rises or large concentration of rentals (such as Sandestin) will have more people at its beaches.

FYI, as you already noticed some names can be similar so make sure you know which one you're asking about (Sandestin, Destin and SunDestin--Sandestin is a very large complex, Destin is the city SunDestin is a condo).