We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going in June.....just a quick question

U.S.
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Going in June.....just a quick question

staying in sandestion beachside two right on the beach.. Whats everyone talking about this june grass seaweed stuff. Is it bad?

Indiana
Level Contributor
936 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going in June.....just a quick question

It can be in the hot summer months. We go either before or after it has run its course. It can be spotty at times you may luck out and not encounter any.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,397 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going in June.....just a quick question

The gulf is a living body of water so therefore has weeds, fish and other life forms. The June grass is a type of seaweed that's very fine, some have used the word slimey. The quantities can vary from hour to hour and place to place as it moves. We have seldom seen it in March or April, but last year we saw some. In theory it shows up in June, hence the name, but can be there outside that time frame. No way to predict how it will be at any given time or how much it will annoy you.

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,831 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going in June.....just a quick question

June grass is a green algae. You can find it in the Gulf of Mexico particularly in hot weather. It floats offshore and depending on the winds may come in - it can stay for a half a day or linger longer, all depends on mother nature. It does not hurt you or sting you. It is slimy but many kids play with it and you will see it on the beach as well.

U.S.
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going in June.....just a quick question

Thanks. We just booked our vacation and noticed some people talking about this and it worried me. Doesn't sound like it will be much of a problem for us.

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,538 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going in June.....just a quick question

Playachick,

If you were to search here, you would probably find many posts about how bad the Junegrass was. It seems that last year was, like, the WORST... It really was an issue... and it hung around well into Fall.....

Are you traveling early in June... late June????

I am thinking that the further in June you get, the greater the chances that you could encounter this.

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,538 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going in June.....just a quick question

Here is a link I just pulled up real quick with a search.

It is from last August, I think... at the bottom it shows a photo with fresh green junegrass and seaweed up and down the beach.

Then, it begins to decompose and turn all black and nasty.

http://junegrassreport.wordpress.com/2011/08/

Also, I will post a link to the Junegrass Index that somebody came up with, from 0 to 10.

…wordpress.com/2011/…

Edited: 03 April 2012, 20:11
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
555 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going in June.....just a quick question

Don't let it ruin your trip! We went twice last year, yes it was there, but it seemed it wasn't as bad in every location. If you find it unbearable, pack up the family and head to another stretch of beach. We went snorkeling at Osteen beach last year and there wasn't any, but earlier that day there was a lot by Pompano Joe's. You will love your vacation no matter what, don't get stressed out now by something that you can't control... Enjoy!

Santa Rosa Beach...
Level Contributor
626 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going in June.....just a quick question

I have spent 2 weeks in Destin in June for the past 10 years or so, and I have never been significantly impacted by "June" grass. I usually go in early June. Based on what I have read on this board over the years, it actually seems to be more of a problem in July. It tends to be very patchy and localized, and if it's bad in one spot, you can go to a different stretch of beach that doesn't have it. I suppose this could be a problem for someone who wants to park themselves on the beach right in front of their condo and doesn't want to move if June grass is there.

U.S.
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Going in June.....just a quick question

We will be going the last week of June. Sounds like it wont be something that could ruin our vacation. We could move it became a problem. Its fun to get in the ocean but as long as we are able to be on the beach and have a beautiful view out our condo and some sun I'll be happy!

Valparaiso, Indiana
Level Contributor
360 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Going in June.....just a quick question

We were there for the last two weeks of June last year at Gulf Dunes and it was in the water the entire time; didn't bother me but my wife's a diva and as a result wouldn't go in past knee-deep, lol. Didn't bother me at all. There was none present at Crab Island.