We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Destin Crowds over Memorial Day weekend/week

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
kansas city
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Destin Crowds over Memorial Day weekend/week

My family (wife and boys ages 11 and 8) will be in Destin the week of May 23rd - 30th. I am wondering what the crowds are like that week, especially on the beaches? I am trying to balance things to do with having a little bit of space on the beaches. I am also considering South Walton beaches and Navarre. I would prefer Destin because of all there is to do. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,136 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Destin Crowds over Memorial Day weekend/week

We very often travel the last week of May.

In my experience, both in Destin and in other destinations, it can go from pre-season to crowded by late week.

Schools here in the South do let out around Memorial Day.

If I am right, leading into Mem. Weekend is when it will really pick up???

But, I wouldn't let that make me change my decision.

I would just be aware of that and plan accordingly.

You should pick the specific area that is really what you are wanting in a vacation.

Maybe some other areas would not be as crowded...

But, if you really feel like you might end up driving over to Destin... I would stay closer to Destin. If you could really enjoy a more laid back trip, without as much dining/activities/things to do... then consider that. Really a personal choice kind of call to make.

Some experts here might be able to suggest some accommodations in the Destin area that might not be as crowded.

I am counting down the days now until our trip in late May!

Destin
Level Contributor
297 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Destin Crowds over Memorial Day weekend/week

It will be fine May 23-25th, then much more crowded starting on May 26th. Some areas of Destin will be more crowded than others. The Crystal Beach area has the best combo of not being as crowded, yet still close to all of the action in Destin. It seems to be generally less crowded because most of the condos in Crystal Beach are low rise with resultant fewer units so the beach is not shared with as many people.

kansas city
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Destin Crowds over Memorial Day weekend/week

Thanks for the replies! They were both helpful.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
194 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Destin Crowds over Memorial Day weekend/week

We did a Saturday to Saturday trip a few years ago, beginning with the Saturday of Memorial day weekend. It was somewhat crowded thru the holiday, though nothing like summer levels or anything like that. I'm guessing quite a few owners were visiting, or maybe people just taking a long weekend. Once Tuesday rolled around, we pretty much had our run of the place.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
455 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Destin Crowds over Memorial Day weekend/week

If your renting, look for lowrise condos. You will have plenty of beach space in front. The parks are packed during the holiday. But, where I'm staying - its a 30 unit condo and plenty of space on the beach out front. One of reasons I stay away from the highrises.

Level Contributor
417 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Destin Crowds over Memorial Day weekend/week

I agree with the other comment. the weekend will be crowded, but come tuesday you'll have plenty of space on the beach

Tompkinsville...
Level Contributor
47 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Destin Crowds over Memorial Day weekend/week

Oh Boy! Not gonna be the same this year where we are staying. I'll get over it and live; shoot all of my family will be in a vegetative state in Destin! I've been coming to Destin the last 8 yrs. in May. Below average snow days this year combined with off season rates = regular summer crowd from what I've gathered (from speaking with different mgmt. companies).

8. Re: Destin Crowds over Memorial Day weekend/week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 13:16