We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help!

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
76 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Help!

Hubby and I are planning a trip to this area next May (2013).

We've never been so we aren't sure where we should stay. We are a couple in our late 50's. We love to shop and eat at nice restaurants. Relaxation is also a must.

We love Myrtle Beach and was wondering if this are is comparable.

Thanks for the info!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,907 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help!

Comparing just the sand and water there is no comparison. Destin's sand is whiter and water is clearer than Myrtle Beach.

Decatur, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help!

You've come to the right area of Gulf of Mexico if you are looking to relax and also enjoy shopping and dining. As AhHah said the sand is whiter and the water is clearer and usually the prettiest shade of blue green that you could ever imagine.

Summer is the busiest or peak season because schools are out. But Easter and Spring can be busy as the parents and children visit on school holidays.

I usually book vacation rental homes thru vacation rental by owner www.vrbo.com Have done so for numerous years and mostly for stays in Tennessee or Florida. Have been pleased with every rental so far. You have plenty of time to peruse that webpage and look around for the rental home/condo you prefer.

Read the "things to do" for Destin or Ft Walton, that will provide lots of information as well.

Enjoy making your travel plans. I have been going to Florida Panhandle for 50 + years and love every minute of being there.

Edited: 21 May 2012, 18:04
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
964 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help!

I looked at both, never been to Myrtle Beach. Love Destin

kentucky
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help!

We have been to Myrtle Beach and IMO there is no comparison in the sand and water.You will love Destin!

NC
Level Contributor
377 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help!

I have been to both and both are great places. Myrtle does have the edge on golf courses but Destin does have some decent ones. But lets be honest who is going to the beach for golf.

I have lived on the Atlantic coast most my life and thought New Jersey had some great beaches. Then found the outerbanks which was always a hit. Went to them for 4 years or so. Then moved further south and had to go to the beaches near myrtle or charleston. While both are great beach areas for families, the do fall far from comparison to the beaches of Destin.

Since we found Destin about 6 years ago, the thought of another beach does not even come up. This place is unbeatable compared to the beaches that I have been to along the Atlantic.

As mentioned the sand is nice soft white and the water is clear and blue/green. The harbor is top notch with lots of water activities. There are land places to visit as well but you can browse the things to do to get good idea.

We will be there in one month and believe me after the trip we will already be looking to come back as soon as possible.

Good luck and have fun researching.

NC
Level Contributor
377 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help!

Sorry did not get to where to stay. Depends on what you are looking for. We have found many condos that are in Miramar beach area but you do have to cross the scenic hwy 98. There are some high rise and some that are maybe 3 to 4 levels, but most offer 1 to 3 or 4 bedrooms. VRBO is readily used by a lot of folks that post here and I am one of those. We have used about 4 owners to date and have had nothing but success. I would suggest looking at the units on VRBO and judge what you think you are looking for as well as price.

Valparaiso, Indiana
Level Contributor
354 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help!

Our family has vacationed several times in Crescent Beach area of North Myrtle; the panhandle's beaches are far nicer; only drawback is the junegrass in the water (and the water is still far-clearer). If you can handle the junegrass then there really is no comparison. I also would say Destin beats MB on the shopping front hands-down. As far as dining, both areas have some great eats but the establishments are more condensed in Destin/FWB. As far as traffic related to these areas, a slight advantage to MB.

Edited: 23 May 2012, 18:15
8. Re: Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 10:16