We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shameless Plug- "Salty Memories Along the Emerald Coast"

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,588 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Shameless Plug- "Salty Memories Along the Emerald Coast"

For all of you that love history and maybe some forklore thrown in with great old pictures of Destin - this is a book for you. And no I have nothing to do with this foundation or book - just purchased one and really enjoyed it. You can purchase it from different locations listed below while you are on vacation.

Mattie Kelly Arts Foundation and author Tony Mennillo, Arturo Studios are pleased to announce a partnership on his new book, “Salty Memories Along the Coastal Highway.” This limited edition 176-page hard bound book contains historical stories of Destin and the Emerald Coast and features 492 vintage photographs. A portion of each book sale will benefit MKAF’s mission for cultural events and student educational outreach programs.

Cost of each book is $55.00 plus 6% sales tax for cash and check payments. For all credit card transactions, contact MKAF at 850-650-2226. A $2.00 convenience fee is applicable on all credit card transactions.

Books available to purchase from the following locations:

Destin

Destin Library (150 Sibert Avenue)

Kitchenique (City Market)

LaDonna's Hair Salon

La Renaissance Salon (Mountain Drive)

Mattie Kelly Arts Foundation (call 650-2226)

Special Touch Gallery (HarborWalk Village)

The Palms of Destin

Youtopia, (Next to Target)

Uniquely Chic (near Barnes & Noble)

Santa Rosa Beach...
Level Contributor
451 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shameless Plug- "Salty Memories Along the Emerald Coast"

Illegal post

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,588 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shameless Plug- "Salty Memories Along the Emerald Coast"

Why is this illegal - no different then someone recommending a restaurant etc - as I state in the copy I have no connection with this book or the Mattie Kelly Arts Foundation - I just purchased it and liked it and thought others might too.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,173 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shameless Plug- "Salty Memories Along the Emerald Coast"

MBL, that sounds like a really neat book, I'll have to consider it. As a visitor for 20 years I'm fascinated by the history of the area. I've seen a number of changes, but nothing like what the natives have seen.

That was one thing we really enjoyed about the old Lucky Snapper--their historical pictures. Oh, and the cheese biscuits.

Juneau AK
Level Contributor
615 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shameless Plug- "Salty Memories Along the Emerald Coast"

Someone who is a paid tourist director, has a total of 28 posts on TA, all in the past 3 days, is declaring an interesting post by one this board's most active and useful members to be illegal? This seems a little bit out-of-line to me. I have frequented TA for a long time, and I don't see anything illegal with this post. In fact, I would like to buy the book!

Santa Rosa Beach...
Level Contributor
451 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shameless Plug- "Salty Memories Along the Emerald Coast"

Alaska , You need to understand more about it, but it was a sarcastic joke.Fact I am big supporter and contributor to MKF

TDC director, you are way out of touch with happenings of Destin if you think I'm with TDC

Conway, Arkansas
Level Contributor
774 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Shameless Plug- "Salty Memories Along the Emerald Coast"

This book sounds awesome. I love history in general, but am fascinated by the Destin/Gulf/Ocean area. I'm going to buy it.

destin florida
Level Contributor
516 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shameless Plug- "Salty Memories Along the Emerald Coast"

I am sure most of our visitors are not aware of our TDC "mess". It is not something to be proud of. Locals understand your joke.

Santa Rosa Beach...
Level Contributor
451 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shameless Plug- "Salty Memories Along the Emerald Coast"

Peep with respect the inside joke about my comment "illegal" was not a joke about TDC but how some locals collaborate to remove my posts . Now about the book , it does sound fantastic and the MKF is an outstanding orginazation , along with the seaside rep theatre...

Peeps you are correct the TDC events have been hurtful to us locals , and you are correct many visitors whom do pay the 5 % bed tax don't know the story... I'm glad TDC stepped u to pay for the Seafoof Festival thus year after last years record crowds

Look I don't want to hijack this thread it's a good cause ( the book ) but I felt that I did owe a response to your question. Thank you

Edited: 09 June 2012, 01:39
Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,794 posts
1,166 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shameless Plug- "Salty Memories Along the Emerald Coast"

gimme an F.......has the chili dog market down there improved any? we can't wait to get back down for a visit!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,173 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shameless Plug- "Salty Memories Along the Emerald Coast"

Last year I told you about a hotdog stand near the charter which was terrific--I don't eat chili dogs. Unfortunately, when we were there 6 weeks ago they thought he had closed down.