We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are roads like after I-65? Driving from Chicago-area

New York
11 posts
Save Topic
What are roads like after I-65? Driving from Chicago-area

Hi,

We are driving down from northern suburbs of Chicago in August. We have never been to Destin and are very excited! We are wondering what the roads/scenery are like once you get off I-65. We plan on using Baked's directions (exit at #114). Are the highways very populated? Any bad neighborhoods to avoid? Scenic? Horrible traffic? Just want to be prepared.

BTW, we are staying at the Hilton Sandestin so any input on the hotel would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Santa Rosa Beach...
Level Contributor
451 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are roads like after I-65? Driving from Chicago-area

Just make sure you have gas ..... Sleepy old time towns, safe....

Please bring me some Portillos !!

You will enjoy it here and safe travels ....

Side note Hilton great resort I love it but some are unaware of daily parking fees and rental chair costs per day if you decide ....

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
199 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are roads like after I-65? Driving from Chicago-area

My main comment to people is always "watch your speed". You'll be in and out of these little towns, speed limits will fluctuate between 55 and 35 in some spots, and some of those cops live to catch us out-of-towners. I probably know 10 couples/families that have driven this route, and more than half of them have been ticketed.

There really isn't much going on, which means no scenery, but also little traffic, and no bad neighborhoods.

New York
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What are roads like after I-65? Driving from Chicago-area

Thanks for the quick responses!

Portillo's italian beef sandwiches are the best! My sister in Colorado also has me bring her Lou Malnati's deep dish pizza which is also delicous!

Thanks for the tip on speeding, that would be a big bummer getting a ticket on our way in!

We booked the Hilton under a special August package where we get free beach set up each day, so at least that will be free! But yes, I am aware of the $10 parking fee which we will have to pay. However, we stayed at the Westin Diplomat in Hollywood, FL in March and paid a $25 parking fee each day, so $10 is a steal!

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,769 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What are roads like after I-65? Driving from Chicago-area

Gee TDC - I have Portillos in my freezer right here in Miramar. Always have my buddies bring it down for me when they come to visit.

Santa Rosa Beach...
Level Contributor
451 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What are roads like after I-65? Driving from Chicago-area

MBL . That is a big tease !!!!!

Oh Portillos !!!!!!

6. Re: What are roads like after I-65? Driving from Chicago-area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 14:41