We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What will the ocean conditions be after storm

Ballwin, Missouri
Level Contributor
239 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
What will the ocean conditions be after storm

We are supposed to check in Thursday. I have until today to cancel. What is your experience with the beach/water conditions if this storm is gone by then? Will it be a mess or is it truly the calm after the storm?

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,769 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What will the ocean conditions be after storm

Usually once it makes landfall it calms down pretty quickly. But then we usually don't have a tropical storm this early in the season either and seldom is the TS so stationary as Debby has been. Right now they are predicting party cloudy and 10% chance of rain on Thursday and Friday.

Ballwin, Missouri
Level Contributor
239 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What will the ocean conditions be after storm

So do you think the red flags will be gone and the beaches clean? My kids have never been to the beach so I'm trying to decide if it's worth it.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What will the ocean conditions be after storm

This is a disorganized storm with no clear directional pattern, nor speed, nor strength. Professionals with decades of experience and million s of dollars worth of technology have no clue, yet you expect someone on a TA Forum to make an accurate prediction?

DON'T GO. That's my uninformed advice.

MO
Level Contributor
589 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What will the ocean conditions be after storm

Go, it's going to be hot in St. Louis by the end of the week. If they never been to beach take them. It's not like a flood, been there right after storms and it clears up real fast.

Destin, FL
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
2,968 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What will the ocean conditions be after storm

Can make no promises about the red flags, but the beaches will be fine, they are right now...

Santa Rosa Beach...
Level Contributor
451 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What will the ocean conditions be after storm

Is the one poster states, this one (Debby) is so unpredictable-both counties still have double red flags flying.

(although surf size has dropped , extreme rip currents are present - SWFD)

Still keep your plans and go ....

NC
Level Contributor
377 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What will the ocean conditions be after storm

Beach is calming down but still some good waves and currents. From what I can tell red flags have been persistent for a couple weeks. There are kids wading I'm the ocean this morning and I think it will get calmer. But yes double reds right now. We are waiting till tomorrow or Wednesday to hit beach.

Santa Rosa Beach...
Level Contributor
451 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What will the ocean conditions be after storm

That "kids wading in the ocean" scares me!

Folks double red flags mean water is closed to the public - don't be fooled because the sun is out and the waves look like fun! Knee deep is to deep EVEN in Red Flag conditions....

Remember the 13 yo girl whom drowned in conditions like this, but was only a red flag- she was in knee deep water!!!!!!

If you are here now, the surf will be better soon!

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,702 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What will the ocean conditions be after storm

The National Weather Service forecast discussion notes that the storm "isn't going anywhere soon" but that's not entirely a bad thing. The storm feeds on warm water; the Gulf at present has only a thin layer of warm water, so if Debby remains more or less stationary, it'll run out of steam, as discussed at Weather Underground

wunderground.com/blog/…

Okaloosa is back to red-flag today.

http://okaloosabeachsafety.org/

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
147 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What will the ocean conditions be after storm

I rather be there on a bad day, then here on a good one.