We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Houston, Tx to Destin Sat 7/7/12

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Houston, Tx to Destin Sat 7/7/12

Never driven this route before and will be traveling with two long-legged tall teenage girls.

Any traffic/route advice and suggestions to stop for the night on the way will be appreciated!

Thanks

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Houston, Tx to Destin Sat 7/7/12

Mobile os often a good spot to stop for the night, lots of hotels near airport.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Houston, Tx to Destin Sat 7/7/12

I-10 all of the way. Make sure to get on I-12 in Baton Rouge or you'll get a side trip to New Orleans. I-12 becomes I-10 again right before the LA border. We usually leave pretty early, stop around Biloxi for lunch, and get to Destin area around 3:30 to 5. Where you get off of I-10 in Florida depends a lot on where you are staying and your tolerance for traffic. I will be using this route in a couple of weeks from the Pearland area.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Houston, Tx to Destin Sat 7/7/12

It is only a 10 hour drive from Houston. You can make it in a day. If you need to stop then here are timeframes of the cities you will be passing though give or take

Baton Rouge 4 -1/2 to 5 hours

Biloxi/Gulfport- 7 to 7.5

Mobile- 8- 8.5

Destin- 10

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Houston, Tx to Destin Sat 7/7/12

Baton Rouge is about half way. There are some nice hotels at Exit 158 at College Drive.

Best Western Plus Richmond Inn and Suites @ 5668 Hilton, Baton Rouge, LA 225 – 924 – 6500.

…bestwestern.com/bestwestern/…

Hampton Inn @ 4646 Constitution Avenue, Baton Rouge, LA 225 – 926 – 9990.

http://www.hamptoncollegedrive.com/

Double Tree By Hilton @ 4964 Constitution Avenue, Baton Rouge, LA 800 – 652 – 7160.

…hilton.com/en_US/…index.do

Holiday Inn @ 4848 Constitution Avenue, Baton Rouge, LA 225 – 448 – 2030.

holidayinn.com/hotels/…hoteldetail

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Houston, Tx to Destin Sat 7/7/12

I would probably drive on to Spanish Fort, AL which is just past Mobile Bay. There are some nice hotels there at Exit 35. Stop at Felix's or John Word's for dinner before you check in.

Felix's Fish Camp @ 1530 Battleship Parkway, Spanish Fort, AL 251 - 626 - 6710.

http://www.felixsfishcamp.com/

John Word's Restaurant and Jazz Cafe @ 2701 Battleship Pkwy., Mobile AL 251 - 433 - 3790.

johnwordsrestaurantandjazzcafe.com/index.htm

6. Re: Driving from Houston, Tx to Destin Sat 7/7/12

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2013, 05:46