We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

apprpriate tipping for beach chair setup

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Middletown
Level Contributor
176 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
apprpriate tipping for beach chair setup

My condo has beach setup included. What should I tip and do I do this daily or at end of week? More questions will surely follow as I near trip.

Destin, FL
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
2,833 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: apprpriate tipping for beach chair setup

Not sure there is a set percentage, but I would personally tip my attendant 15% at the first of the week (to ensure great service) and depending on how the week goes, hit them up again at the end! Average daily rates for 2 chairs/1 umbrella is about $35/day...

Louisiana
Level Contributor
207 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: apprpriate tipping for beach chair setup

I usually figure on $50-$75 for a week.....give them $25 or $30 the first day and then again about half way through the week. If they are really great, I catch them twice more during the week. I can only think of once that I wasn't very happy so I try to budget high.

Middletown
Level Contributor
176 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: apprpriate tipping for beach chair setup

I found this suprising but the owner to my condo told me not to tip because he said he pay's them plenty throughout the year. Unless they do something extraordinary, he says no need!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
194 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: apprpriate tipping for beach chair setup

Perhaps I am in the wrong here, or maybe it works differently in different locations, but we usually give our guy 20 bucks at the end of the week. Typically they respond like they are thrilled, and have made comments about how most people don't give them anything. But now you all are making me feel stingy, which I am not in general. Are they providing you some sort of personal service in other spots? I guess I feel differently about their service versus being served in a restaurant. Those guys set up x amount of chairs, maybe we use them, maybe we don't. There is no personal interaction.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: apprpriate tipping for beach chair setup

We've done it by the day and always give a few bucks, I think our rate was $25 and we'd give $3-5. I figured it's a long, hard job and my husband's worked in the service industry so we have a soft spot for anyone who needs a tip to help make a decent salary. I'd guess your owner's never had to work at low pay hoping for those extra bucks to bring you up past minimum wage. Also, we've seen some of the same people for years, but no, there's not a specific service. When we're on vacation we get generous and consider ourselves lucky to be able to do so in this economy. I tend to be frugal, but that extra $2-3 bucks won't be noticed in the overall vacation budget.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
207 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: apprpriate tipping for beach chair setup

Personal service? Guess it depends on how you look at it. We tend to get to the beach early in the morning, take a break mid-day, and then stay out until dusk. In other words, we are there before and after scheduled beach service times. My guys will usually note that and try to set us up as early as possible and leave us until last to take in. And if after a day or so we discover we are too close to another group, they are happy to set us up a little further away. If a storm blows in while we are in the house, I've found all my stuff neatly secured.

I don't doubt the owners who provide this service put out a nice chunk of change but I would think that goes directly to the beach service company and probably doesn't include a tip for the guys--maybe it does? I have no idea what those guys actually get paid....maybe they do make enough without the tips. I'm sure the guys appreciate any size tip. Since we don't go out to eat very often while there, my tip money gets spent on the beach.

I should confess that I am a "big tipper" in most situations. If I go out to eat and have a set amount in mind, I always figure at least 20% of that for tips. I guess it comes from having worked in the service industry and having friends that still do. Being nice, friendly and considerate is usually appreciated as much as extra tipping.

Middletown
Level Contributor
176 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: apprpriate tipping for beach chair setup

I always tip 20% in restaurants too. Thought it strange he suggested no tipping as well.

Middletown
Level Contributor
176 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: apprpriate tipping for beach chair setup

Also if you are spending 45 per day for 2 chairs and an umbrella (i wouldnt pay that) then I certaily wouldnt dish another 75.00 tip for a week. Thats silly. For that you can go buy your own. I dont have that kind of money. For that much money the boys are surely getting some of that money or they wouldnt be doing it.

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,538 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: apprpriate tipping for beach chair setup

My guess would be the owner has a yearly contract with the beach set up company and pays whether someone is using the chairs or not - but at the same time gets a better rate because of it. I would definitely tip - those guys are out there setting up at 7 am and usually don't take down until 5 - sometimes when they seem to be missing - they might be down the road checking up on other set ups they have.

Ohio
Level Contributor
729 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: apprpriate tipping for beach chair setup

I'm glad I saw this post. Our condo rental includes beach service and, since we've never use such a service before, tipping hadn't occurred to me however, I certainly intend to.